Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Help with a to-get list... (1 Viewer)

Verago

I've been given the opportunity to get just about ANY books I want. (God bless my grandparents.)
In particular, I'm looking for books with good medieval-style, sword-and-magic fight scenes. Might as well further my craft and have a good read, right?

What should I get? Any help would be appreciated. Any books you can think of, let me know.

Thanks.
-Ethan

jk7070436

Um... I don't know. Sorry, but if you haven't already, Lord of the Rings or the Silmarillion are pretty good reads.

journyman161

Not much into fantasy myself, but I enjoyed Magician by Raymond E. Feist, & for something a little out of the ordinary in fantasy, you could try Songs of Earth & Power by Greg Bear

Enjoy your reading!

demon_

Ohh, Get Eragon and Eldest... abit much taken from toher books but there fun. . . . Oh, yes, and there turning into movies, so wouldn't that be cool to walk in a theatre and allready know what's going to happen and you could brag to your friends that you read it. I did that with Narnia and a few other, but everybody (exept for my unimaginative twon) read that so. . .

Last edited:

jk7070436

Verago, you can also read Song of Fire and Ice. I've heard it's quite good, and I've just ordered it from Barnes and Noble. You should buy your books from there, if you don't want to go to the store, you can always order online. And if you pay more than 25 dollars, you get free shipping and handling.

demon_

Oh if you like those fat chubby fantasy books, try soem Margerete Wies and Tracy Hickman, I haven't read anything, but my only writer freind says it's good, really good.

Verago

Thanks, guys.
I'll look for 'em. All of 'em. I've already got Eragon and Eldest (Don't read into this my position on the matter of Paolini's idea stealing.)

Anarkos

Paolini is a fucking joke.

I would advise you to read some good contemporary fiction if you want to further your craft, rather than simply fantasy alone. I feel that all too many genre-authors become to damn blinkered into their own genre. Sure, read fantasy, but don't just read fantasy. Sticking to one genre alone breeds stagnation.

Verago

demon_ said:
I didn't get that last part? Parethesis part.

I'm just making the notation that, although I own the books, I don't neccessarily think Paolini is a good writer.

And I do read other things than fantasy, it's just that fantasy is one of my favorite genres. I already have a pretty good collection of books of different genres, so I figured I'd ask for fantasy since I don't have many of that genre.

Stewart

Anarkos said:
I would advise you to read some good contemporary fiction if you want to further your craft, rather than simply fantasy alone. I feel that all too many genre-authors become to damn blinkered into their own genre. Sure, read fantasy, but don't just read fantasy. Sticking to one genre alone breeds stagnation.

I'll agree with that.

I have nothing to recommend, though, since I think fantasy is fiction's stunted relative. I did find you this which lists loads of fantasy. The difference with some of the authors in the list - after list after list - of fantasy novels is that I've not heard of many of the authors which could be either a good thing or a bad thing. The recommendations here - Tolkien, Paolini, Feist and Martin - are too predictable and populist to really be suggestions of merit; they lack imagination. Take a plunge into the depths rather than scratch at the surface.