Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Help with a passage in "Three Men in a Boat" by Jerome K Jerome (1 Viewer)

har134

I asked this question on another forum as well as my own, but I don't seem to have any answers yet, so I thought I'd ask here. Anyway, here it is. If anybody is familiar with "Three Men in a Boat" I'd be very happy if they could help

There's a certain passage in the classic novel, "Three men in a boat" which has always intrigued me.

It's the part where Jerome describes the glorious night and then tells a story about a band of good knights who travelled into a dark wood and lost their companion.

It's in pages 96-97 in my Penguin Popular Classics paperback edition.

I hope somebody can help with with it. What is this story allude to? And what is this line?
Quote:
And the name of the dark forest was Sorrow; but of the vision the good knight saw therein we may neither speak nor tell.
Is this a biblical allusion or something? I would like some literary explanation on this.

starpanda

Hi Harishanker

It been ** years since I looked at this book, but if memory serves, its a reference to the Knights Templar, rather than a biblical reference, although after the Da Vonci Code, people may argue the point!

i have to admit I don't know enough about Templar lore to give any further details

Hopefully someone else may pick this up and give you more answers

Starpanda

har134

Starpanda, thanks. I'm sure there's some connection to the bible in that passage.

But about the exact meaning of that, I would be grateful if somebody could enlighten me.

There are lots of passages in this novel that mystify me since many of the references are very topical.