Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Hello (1 Viewer)

Jimmy Co

Hello from an aspiring author,
I'm in search of a mentor who will help me improve my writing and guide me through the land mines of the publishing world.
Any suggestions or takers?
Thanks,
Jim
PS. I wasn't sure where to post this question and thought the "Introduce Yourself" forum might work.

Lawless

If you want advice on dialogue, feel free to send me a PM anytime. Dialogue is my strength, even though I'm not sure if I can teach it. But we can try.

I know practically nothing about the publishing world.

Olly Buckle

Mentor
Patron
Welcome to the forum, Jimmy.
Click on 'Forums' and go down the list and you will find a whole section on publishing. There are fiction and nonfiction workshops where you can post your writing for critique and advice, but I think you have to make ten posts before you can access them so they are only available to bonafide members and don't count as 'published'.
The 'Writing discussion' forum contains a lot of interesting threads about writing and affords good opportunities to join in and make those posts. We decided some time ago that just having moderators to control things was not the only valid staff function and instituted a 'mentor' system as well, so there are a bunch of willing people you can approach with particular problems who will do their best to help you or direct you where to go for help.
Do have a good look around and join in a couple of things, I think you will find this a friendly place, all the best, Olly.

Jimmy Co

If you want advice on dialogue, feel free to send me a PM anytime. Dialogue is my strength, even though I'm not sure if I can teach it. But we can try.

I know practically nothing about the publishing world.
Thank you. My new book is dialogue heavy so I may tap into your strength. I will PM you.
Jim

Jimmy Co

Welcome to the forum, Jimmy.
Click on 'Forums' and go down the list and you will find a whole section on publishing. There are fiction and nonfiction workshops where you can post your writing for critique and advice, but I think you have to make ten posts before you can access them so they are only available to bonafide members and don't count as 'published'.
The 'Writing discussion' forum contains a lot of interesting threads about writing and affords good opportunities to join in and make those posts. We decided some time ago that just having moderators to control things was not the only valid staff function and instituted a 'mentor' system as well, so there are a bunch of willing people you can approach with particular problems who will do their best to help you or direct you where to go for help.
Do have a good look around and join in a couple of things, I think you will find this a friendly place, all the best, Olly.
Thank you Olly.
I enjoyed your You Tube posts.
I look forward to getting feedback from my new friends.
Jim

indianroads

Staff member
Global Moderator
Check out the forums and post your questions where they seem to fit. Also - check out online sources, there are a ton of videos on YouTube, but also sites that provide information. Be aware though, YouTube is pretty good, but some of the sites (especially the ones the promise miracles) are out for your money. This forum is NOT like that, we're just a group of writing geeks that help each other. Writing takes a lot of effort and perseverance, so be ready for that.