Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Hello! (1 Viewer)

Hello Everyone, I'm William. I'm a 28 year old male living in Central New York. I first started writing back in my high school days starting with short stories and fanfictions. I dabbled a bit in Poetry a bit before moving onto writing my first Novel. It was a 300+ page Dystopian Fiction novel that has since collected dust on my shelf never published. I have spent the last 8 or so years of my life Planning and re-writing that novel starting over from scratch a few different times (Writer's block is a real pain). My ultimate goal in the near future is to finish that novel, even if I don't publish it I'll definitely feel like I accomplished something. Also I joined this community in hopes of learning different things, and sharing stuff I've learned over the years. I hope to chat with you all soon, and read some good stuff!

-William

Taylor

Staff member
Global Moderator
Hi William. I suffer from writer's block on occasion as well. I am trying to complete my first novel, so I know how you feel. There are great people on this site that have helped me get to where I am, 90% complete, and hoping to write "the end" in the next few months.

I have spent a lot of time in New York and just loved it. How lucky you are!

I look forward to seeing you in the discussion forums and sharing ideas. And repeat after me... We WILL finish our novels!! :)

Last edited:

LCLee

Financial Supporter
Welcome.... I too dusted off a novel that was twenty years old. It took me three years to finish. In that time I was fully able to learn my craft enough, so that people didn't question if English was maybe not my first language. I've been writing steady now for seven years and I'm still learning.

vranger

Staff member
Supervisor
Welcome.... I too dusted off a novel that was twenty years old. It took me three years to finish. In that time I was fully able to learn my craft enough, so that people didn't question if English was maybe not my first language. I've been writing steady now for seven years and I'm still learning.
Eight novels behind me now, and almost through plotting the next. If I ever stop learning, I'll start worrying.

Joker

I'm in the same boat. I finished one novel back around 2015 and it SUCKED! I've brainstormed various projects since then and I think I've finally mapped out one that'll stick. We'll make it sooner or later!

indianroads

Staff member
Global Moderator
I probably take a different tack than most. My first novel written back in the 80’s was a 250K doorstop about vampires. I shudder thinking about it now. It was awful but it was a learning experience.
I boxed it and moved on to another story. That one was marginally better, but I boxed that one too. With each new project I made a point of studying what worked and what didn’t and tried to improve.
These days I’m still a work in progress, but I treat my writing as my job, and am dedicated to getting better at it.