Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Hello (1 Viewer)

KatPC

Hello Everyone,
Where to start? What to say? Well I think, the best way to describe myself is that I am a recovering amateur. In my youth I wrote diaries, expanding to loss of relationships to a muddled romanctic tale. Through family and kids, writing slipped back to the unknown, and after many years the tingling sensation of creation and liberation found its way back. I hope to learn, to improve my writing, to create worlds for people to see.
Thank you for having me

Taylor

Staff member
Global Moderator
"A recovering amateur" -- Wonderful! You will fit in here perfectly. Many of us have had other careers and professions and found our way back to writing. My story is similar to yours...the itch to create resurfacing in my retirement. I'm currently creating a world with my first novel that is 90% complete.

Are you working on anything right now?

TheMightyAz

Staff member
Mentor
Welcome aboard! I'm looking forward to walking through your worlds. Keep them reasonably flat, please, and fit every building with an escalator. My knees aren't what they used to be.

KatPC

"A recovering amateur" -- Wonderful! You will fit in here perfectly. Many of us have had other careers and professions and found our way back to writing. My story is similar to yours...the itch to create resurfacing in my retirement. I'm currently creating a world with my first novel that is 90% complete.

Are you working on anything right now?

Thank you for the lovely welcome! I was told that i should never rush a novel so close to the heart, and instead concentrate on short stories to build my narrative voice and style, so I am building up a little catalogue of shorts!
Welcome aboard! I'm looking forward to walking through your worlds. Keep them reasonably flat, please, and fit every building with an escalator. My knees aren't what they used to be.

My worlds won't have escalators! Hopefully I can create stories that are a little different, and move people in that way (not up the stairs!)

robertn51

Friends of WF
Hello @KatPC ,

The others have about covered it.

But this of yours caught me:

...i should never rush a novel so close to the heart, and instead concentrate on short stories to build my narrative voice and style

Excellent advice there, about the short stories. They serve well, too, for learning to listen dispassionately to others' helpful comments.

We send our stories out as if they were our children not our art. And others see only our art and not our children, not our hearts out there walking around outside our bodies. Sometimes it hurts. Sometimes they all surprise us.

Writing close to the heart can be dangerous and yet so intensely generous. It is the realm of the true amateur.

...from French amateur "one who loves, lover" (16c., restored from Old French ameour), from Latin amatorem (nominative amator) "lover, friend," agent noun from amatus, past participle of amare "to love"

Recover well, amateur. And welcome to WF.

[2021-08-06 2202]

KatPC

Excellent advice there, about the short stories. They serve well, too, for learning to listen dispassionately to others' helpful comments.

We send our stories out as if they were our children not our art. And others see only our art and not our children, not our hearts out there walking around outside our bodies. Sometimes it hurts. Sometimes they all surprise us.

Writing close to the heart can be dangerous and yet so intensely generous. It is the realm of the true amateur.

I learnt this off a very good write, and writing close to ones heart is the learning part of the journey we walk. A book with no heart is merely a collection of words cobbled together.

Thank you for the welcome everyone.

Kimoco

Welcome Kat! Can't wait to read your shorts! I wish I could write those, my style is more like I write entire lifetimes 😂 I need to try shorts! Enjoy the forums, great advice here!