Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Hello to all (1 Viewer)

notawizard

Hi guys. I used to be a member of Absolute Write and loved it, but it seems like the places I hung out are pretty dead now, and I'm looking for a writing community like the one I used to love.

I have been writing for years, but got very serious about it about ten years ago. Wrote a book that had serious issues and a book that was very good (if I don't say so myself). I had an agent, but the book was an odd genre mix that no one knew how to market, and so it didn't sell. I started a new novel, but had some kids and that got in the way of writing time, and then current events sort of killed my story, so I just kind of put writing aside for awhile.

Well, I've decided to get back into things. Right now I'm working on a major revision (basically rewriting the beginning and end) of the book with serious issues, and I also have a new book I'm working on as well. Here's to hoping things go better this time around.

Taylor

Staff member
Global Moderator
I think you will love this one too...I know I do!

Personally, I like novels that are an odd genre mix. The fact that something doesn't sell, could be just that the right people didn't see it. There are a lot of indie-published authors on this site. And also those who know a thing or two about how to market your book. What I have learned here is there are other avenues outside of traditional publishing. You will find whatever your writing issues are, there is someone here to help you sort it out.

Glad you're back to writing. Looking forward to hearing more about your novels. Welcome to the forum! :)

KeganThompson

welcome! may I ask what the "odd genre" mix was?
I joined fairly recently, it's been a nice place to get feedback but also learn about others and their own personal journeys and struggles with writing. :)

indianroads

Staff member
Global Moderator
Hi guys. I used to be a member of Absolute Write and loved it, but it seems like the places I hung out are pretty dead now, and I'm looking for a writing community like the one I used to love.

I have been writing for years, but got very serious about it about ten years ago. Wrote a book that had serious issues and a book that was very good (if I don't say so myself). I had an agent, but the book was an odd genre mix that no one knew how to market, and so it didn't sell. I started a new novel, but had some kids and that got in the way of writing time, and then current events sort of killed my story, so I just kind of put writing aside for awhile.

Well, I've decided to get back into things. Right now I'm working on a major revision (basically rewriting the beginning and end) of the book with serious issues, and I also have a new book I'm working on as well. Here's to hoping things go better this time around.
I had the same experience with an agent back in the 80's. I was writing horror novels then, and the market was inundated. Eventually, I became discouraged and quit writing for 30 years. I'm back now though.

I was also on AW for a long time, but grew discouraged and put off by the intolerance of a few admins. When they were hit with the DOS attack I moved here, and am much happier now.

Welcome. This is a wonderfully supportive place, you've found a new home.

Last edited:

notawizard

I think you will love this one too...I know I do!

Personally, I like novels that are an odd genre mix. The fact that something doesn't sell, could be just that the right people didn't see it. There are a lot of indie-published authors on this site. And also those who know a thing or two about how to market your book. What I have learned here is there are other avenues outside of traditional publishing. You will find whatever your writing issues are, there is someone here to help you sort it out.

Glad you're back to writing. Looking forward to hearing more about your novels. Welcome to the forum! :)
It was billed as urban fantasy (though I didn't really like that label, I called it commercial), I felt like it was closer to suspense. It had superheroes, though the main character also wasn't a superhero. All the feedback I got was basically that it wasn't marketable because people don't read books with superheroes. Again, I disagree, but who am I to say? I'm just the writer haha.

My current odd genre mix is fantasy and mystery. It's obviously going to be a fantasy novel at the end of the day, but I'm definitely trying to put in classical mystery novel elements as well. I am a really big fan of a book called Holmes on the Range which is a Sherlock-style story set in the Old West so I thought it would be fun to play with that kind of story with a fantasy setting.

notawizard

I had the same experience with an agent back in the 80's. I was writing horror novels then, and the market was inundated. Eventually, I became discouraged and quit writing for 30 years. I'm back now though.

I was also on AW for a long time, but grew discouraged and put off by the intolerance of a few admins. When they got his with the DOS attack I moved here, and am much happier now.

Welcome. This is a wonderfully supportive place, you've found a new home.
I hate to admit that I stepped away for awhile, but I just really lost a ton of confidence. I love to write, but at the end of the day, I really want other people to be able to share the stories with me. Even now there's a part of me wondering if it's stupid to be trying this again, but it's something that's important to me that I always wanted to do and that I enjoy, so here I am, hopefully tougher for this next round.

I'm glad you got back into it. It makes me feel better knowing I'm not the only one who has had an experience like this.

indianroads

Staff member
Global Moderator
Following your heart is NEVER stupid. Without our stories, the world would be a dull and silent place.
So write. Pour your heart into your stories - self publish if you don't want to jump through the tradition hoops. Write enough and your books will find an audience.