Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Hello there! I am Jenn! (1 Viewer)

Hello fellow writers! I am not new to the writing world, but I am kind of lost in what kind of platform or software to use to write a full length memoir. Can someone point me in a good direction? I am currently using Google docs to start, but as it gets longer, it is getting increasingly difficult to navigate the editing process.

vranger

Staff member
Supervisor
Hello fellow writers! I am not new to the writing world, but I am kind of lost in what kind of platform or software to use to write a full length memoir. Can someone point me in a good direction? I am currently using Google docs to start, but as it gets longer, it is getting increasingly difficult to navigate the editing process.
Welcome to the site!

I use Scrivener to write the manuscript, then Word for read throughs and final formatting.

Olly Buckle

Mentor
Patron
I notice another recent member, madon, started a thread 'Preferences in writing software' in the 'writing discussion' forum, and I bet that historically there are other threads on the subject there. Writing discussion is an interesting part of the forum, and a good place to make the ten posts necessary to open up the rest of the forum, there are plenty of discussions to join in on. Memoirs are always interesting, I look forward to reading some of it in the workshops later.

jenthepen

Staff member
Mentor
Hi. I take it you and @jenthepen are not the same person?!:)
Hi, jenn.with.the.pen and welcome. You'll get loads of good advice about software and such from the folks around here. I know because I call on their expertise all the time - glad to see a fellow member who, like me, still values the humble pen. Nice name. ;)

Nah, not me, bd. I'm much too lazy to use so many nn's and full stops. 😴

indianroads

Staff member
Global Moderator
As @Olly Buckle said, there are a few threads around about writing software, check those out. Most computers come with some sort of word processor, I suggest you start there, then as you refine your writing process consider other options.

I use MS Excel to define my characters (appearances, modes of speech, where they live, aspects of their life), along with the world they live in (future, present, past, or alien, including laws society stuff, and governance). Keep it all on separate sheets within the Excel doc, and it's easy to look up what you momentarily forget while writing.

For writing I use MS Word; not because it's great, but because it's familiar. I added a plug in third part grammar checker to it (Grammarly) for a better check.

That's about it.

One thing I always recommend is that writers review their process and tools at the end of each project (novel or story), and look at what worked and what did not. From there, you modify your process and use that for your next project.