Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Hello! I am a person who enjoys writing (I think). (1 Viewer)

hmjacobsen8

Friends of WF
EDIT: Wow. Compared to other's intro posts, this was very long. Too long... Apologies in advance. 😬

Just kidding. Despite how often I avoid writing for fear of writing something terrible, the green flags are definitely all there: I at least think about wanting to sit down to write a thousand times per day; when I actually DO get my butt in front of the computer to write, my soul seems to leave my body and take over, carrying me through until it decides it's finished; and when I do finish writing, I get a rush that I've never gotten elsewhere. Ever.

I am a beginner, to say the least. I use too many commas and parenthesis, don't read nearly enough (please don't kick me out of here), and my vocabulary leaves much to be desired- something I am relentlessly jealous of my techy, non-writer girlfriend for being proficient in.

I wrote my first story ever on lined paper when I was in elementary school, about a lost watch. Until now (I'm 26), that was about the extent of my writing career. Somewhere in between then and now, I got too caught up in boys (which is hilarious because I'm going to marry a girl) to even care about who I was or what I wanted, leaving a passion for writing dormant- save for some diary-esque love poetry throughout the years. I also blame my parents for forcing me to stop reading five books a week to make time for sports since they were afraid I was becoming a fat fourth grader, which I probably was but I need to blame someone other than me for my lack of reading or else I'll go insane.

But many years and failed business attempts later (yes, I truly thought I wanted to be a business owner in my attempt to find my purpose in life), I've managed to somehow re-awaken the dormant beast that is writing. And as much as I love it, I'm coming to realize through working on my first full-length WIP ever, it is, in fact, just that: a beast.

Anyways, here are some other non-writing related things about me:
  • I'm 5'1 and 125 pounds and on any given day I can consume as many calories as a 6 ft. 30 year-old man in the form of cheeseburgers or sushi.
  • I'm just like any other human on the planet: lost, confused, and sad a lot of the time. Also, "I have a lot of proof that the world is conspiring to make me happy." (Borrowed from Matthew Mcconaughey's OK memoir).
  • I'm dating a human whom I believe is not a human at all, but more so a pure being that walks this Earth and spreads joy and light with her humor and smarts and her inherent love for everything and everyone.
  • I hate hard work, except for when it comes to two things: my relationship, and writing. (Okay, I guess this one was a little writing-related...)

Last edited:

Steve_Rivers

Everyone has to start somewhere, HM. It's great that you feel you've finally found (or re-found) your passion in life (and more so that it's writing!)

What's your current WIP, if you don't mind me asking? I'm guessing it's not poetry since you make it sound like a big project.

Welcome to the forums!

hmjacobsen8

Friends of WF
Everyone has to start somewhere, HM. It's great that you feel you've finally found (or re-found) your passion in life (and more so that it's writing!)

What's your current WIP, if you don't mind me asking? I'm guessing it's not poetry since you make it sound like a big project.

Welcome to the forums!
Thank you for the welcome! I am also realizing that everyone has to start somewhere. When I first started being serious (about a year and a half ago), I consulted r/Writing a lot and felt like just about the worst writer in the world. Since then I think I've gained a teeny bit of confidence, which is what prompted me to join this website!

My WIP is a novel, a FP romance based on a true love story and framed in a fantasy/solar-punky setting. It's only about 60k words at this point, and I'm in the middle of editing my first draft. Thank you so much for asking! ☺️

hmjacobsen8

Friends of WF
Welcome to the forum!

Your intro is beautifully written...I enjoyed reading it. So glad you re-awakened the beast.

I look forward to seeing your posts, and more of your writing.
Thank you so much for the kind words. Everyone here already seems very welcoming... I love that! I'm so glad I joined and I really look forward to working with all the writers on here and honing the craft which is also a beast. ;)

indianroads

Staff member
Global Moderator
EDIT: Wow. Compared to other's intro posts, this was very long. Too long... Apologies in advance. 😬

Just kidding. Despite how often I avoid writing for fear of writing something terrible, the green flags are definitely all there: I at least think about wanting to sit down to write a thousand times per day; when I actually DO get my butt in front of the computer to write, my soul seems to leave my body and take over, carrying me through until it decides it's finished; and when I do finish writing, I get a rush that I've never gotten elsewhere. Ever.

I am a beginner, to say the least. I use too many commas and parenthesis, don't read nearly enough (please don't kick me out of here), and my vocabulary leaves much to be desired- something I am relentlessly jealous of my techy, non-writer girlfriend for being proficient in.

I wrote my first story ever on lined paper when I was in elementary school, about a lost watch. Until now (I'm 26), that was about the extent of my writing career. Somewhere in between then and now, I got too caught up in boys (which is hilarious because I'm going to marry a girl) to even care about who I was or what I wanted, leaving a passion for writing dormant- save for some diary-esque love poetry throughout the years. I also blame my parents for forcing me to stop reading five books a week to make time for sports since they were afraid I was becoming a fat fourth grader, which I probably was but I need to blame someone other than me for my lack of reading or else I'll go insane.

But many years and failed business attempts later (yes, I truly thought I wanted to be a business owner in my attempt to find my purpose in life), I've managed to somehow re-awaken the dormant beast that is writing. And as much as I love it, I'm coming to realize through working on my first full-length WIP ever, it is, in fact, just that: a beast.

• I'm 5'1 and 125 pounds and on any given day I can consume as many calories as a 6 ft. 30 year-old man in the form of cheeseburgers or sushi.
  • I'm just like any other human on the planet: lost, confused, and sad a lot of the time. Also, "I have a lot of proof that the world is conspiring to make me happy." (Borrowed from Matthew Mcconaughey's OK memoir).
  • I'm dating a human whom I believe is not a human at all, but more so a pure being that walks this Earth and spreads joy and light with her humor and smarts and her inherent love for everything and everyone.
  • I hate hard work, except for when it comes to two things: my relationship, and writing. (Okay, I guess this one was a little writing-related...)
Great intro - I enjoyed reading it.
Interesting that you mentioned your parents pushing you into sports. Sorta-kinda the same thing happened to me.
I was mostly raised in an isolated home in the mountains - no other kids around and I am an only child. My uncle taught me reading fundamentals read when I was three, and soon I was consuming everything I could get my hands on.
Segue: when I started kindergarten I could read, but didn't know the alphabet; I had memorized the shape of words.
Anyway, when I was five my father wanted me to be more rough and tumble, so he signed me up to learn martial arts. I still read a lot, but did balance me out, and over the years I've earned a slew of black belts in several styles, which has helped me write action scenes.
So, one thing fed the other.

Anyway - welcome! I look forward to reading your posts.

KeganThompson

I did some writing but got caught up in the whirlwind of life. I moved out of my family's home and have my own space which has helped me creatively because I am much happier now. I decided after thinking about writing again for a couple of years to actually doing it. I had a story I couldn't let go of. I am in a similar position because I need a lot of help with my punctuation (and well honestly everything) Writing and be fun but also overwhelming. I knew I needed some critique and encouragement. I joined the forum just a few days ago. welcome!

hmjacobsen8

Friends of WF
Great intro - I enjoyed reading it.
Interesting that you mentioned your parents pushing you into sports. Sorta-kinda the same thing happened to me.
I was mostly raised in an isolated home in the mountains - no other kids around and I am an only child. My uncle taught me reading fundamentals read when I was three, and soon I was consuming everything I could get my hands on.
Segue: when I started kindergarten I could read, but didn't know the alphabet; I had memorized the shape of words.
Anyway, when I was five my father wanted me to be more rough and tumble, so he signed me up to learn martial arts. I still read a lot, but did balance me out, and over the years I've earned a slew of black belts in several styles, which has helped me write action scenes.
So, one thing fed the other.

Anyway - welcome! I look forward to reading your posts.
Woahh you memorized the shape of words? That's insanity.

I'm glad you were able to balance out reading and martial arts (also extremely cool). I'm not sure exactly what happened since it was so long ago. I just remember walking to the library every other day and taking home tons of books and flying through them. Then one day my mom was like we gotta sign you up for a sport or else you'll gain too much weight (I loved to eat even when I was that age). I didn't hate sports but my mom ended up signing me up for year-round lacrosse and field hockey and between that and my infatuation with boys I just... stopped reading. It's probably one of my biggest regrets in life because I think I'd be a much better writer if I hadn't thrown away all that time I could have been reading. Sigh.

Anyway, thanks for the welcome! lol I'm happy to be here.

indianroads

Staff member
Global Moderator
Woahh you memorized the shape of words? That's insanity.

I'm glad you were able to balance out reading and martial arts (also extremely cool). I'm not sure exactly what happened since it was so long ago. I just remember walking to the library every other day and taking home tons of books and flying through them. Then one day my mom was like we gotta sign you up for a sport or else you'll gain too much weight (I loved to eat even when I was that age). I didn't hate sports but my mom ended up signing me up for year-round lacrosse and field hockey and between that and my infatuation with boys I just... stopped reading. It's probably one of my biggest regrets in life because I think I'd be a much better writer if I hadn't thrown away all that time I could have been reading. Sigh.

Anyway, thanks for the welcome! lol I'm happy to be here.
This is a good place filled with good people. You'll get lots of support.
What genre do you enjoy reading? Do you have favorite books and authors?

hmjacobsen8

Friends of WF
I did some writing but got caught up in the whirlwind of life. I moved out of my family's home and have my own space which has helped me creatively because I am much happier now. I decided after thinking about writing again for a couple of years to actually doing it. I had a story I couldn't let go of. I am in a similar position because I need a lot of help with my punctuation (and well honestly everything) Writing and be fun but also overwhelming. I knew I needed some critique and encouragement. I joined the forum just a few days ago. welcome!
It's so good to hear that you have your own space now to be creative. I know that it makes a HUGE difference. Also, in regards to writing being fun but overwhelming... I definitely concur! And in addition to wanting to connect with a community of fellow writers, I came here for the same reasons as you: critique and encouragement. Welcome to you too!

TheMightyAz

Mentor
Thank you for the welcome and I'm nervous to share but I look forward to it (eventually... haha).
Don't be nervous. Just know you're never going to be the worse and you're never going to be the best, you're just going to be yourself. The only 'competition' is you. Some people start slow and some people start fast, but at the end of the day, we all cross that line together.