Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Hello from the state where our governors make our license plates (1 Viewer)

matthew1959

Hello from Central Illinois, the state where our governors make our license plates. 2020 has been the year that I am building a new life. 2019 started with the sudden passing of my wife, best friend and partner in crime for 29 years. It ended with my career as a commercial driver for 15 years ending in seconds. I was also still adjusting to being an empty nester after my daughter left for college the previous summer. So when 2020 dawned, I was 61, alone, lost, grieving, unemployed and not sure where to turn next. Employers aren’t interested in a boomer who is on the same level as a gen-z just coming out of school.

Grief and transitioning into a new career isn’t an event, it is a process and it takes time. Without marketable job skills this has been difficult. What focused my attention on writing was the response to mask mandates by many who call themselves fundamental Baptists in my circle of acquaintances. As a response I wrote a booklet based on biblical arguments in favor of mask wearing. Ironically, it was rejected by Amazon. However, I realized that there is an opportunity to get Christians to start asking what does the Bible say? What is needed are commentaries that are simple, easy to read and get to the point. This falls into my natural writing technique. I write “short books” that are about 6000-10000 word commentaries on a passage of Scripture. Someone can read them in about a half hour.

I also enjoy graphic design, this gives me an opportunity to design book covers for others. Another area I would love to explore is being an editor and possibly publisher for others, especially in the religious field. There are so many pastors who have something to say, every Sunday they teach and preach to their congregation. I would love to help them reach a larger audience.

As a member of this forum my goal is to make connections and develop my skills as a writer and editor. Who knows, I might even get some ideas on what people are looking for in cover designs. I have a direction for my life once again, now it’s time to take things to the next level. Now it’s time to go from avocation to vocation.

Tiamat

Patron
Hello Matthew, and welcome! I'm so very sorry to hear about your wife, but I am glad to hear that you're exploring new interests to handle some of the changes the world has thrown your way.

PiP

Staff member
Co-Owner
Hello Matthew, a warm welcome to WF. We are a friendly and supportive group and I am sure you will soon make yourself at home.

I am so sorry to hear of your wife's passing. It's good to see you have already set yourself goals and working towards achieving them. Once you have made ten posts you will become a full member and have access to your signature permissions to link back to the services you offer (website, FB page etc).

Book covers in my view are as important as the content of the book.

Olly Buckle

Mentor
Patron
Hi matthew1959, and all kudos for picking yourself up after a devastating series of events. It bodes well, writers work alone mostly and need to be pretty self motivating. We have had a couple of ministers here in the past, generally they have been looking for a platform rather than to improve their writing and have not taken well to criticism of pompous bombast. You sound like a very different animal and it will be interesting to see your work. Good luck with it all and welcome aboard, it sounds as though you may be a very positive and useful person to have around.