Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

He Creased My Knickers (1 Viewer)

scribbler

I usually wake up grumpy, but today I let her sleep. I groped my way into the kitchen and opened a can of cat food for Maestro and jumped into my sweats for a walk in the woods.

There is nothing like Autumn in New England, and it felt good to be alive. I returned from my walk and found a van in the condo's handicapped parking space, and the sign lying face down in the grass. I tend to mind my own business when it comes my condo, but this put a crease I my knickers. I picked up the sign and rested it against the van, hoping the owner of the van would get the message.

The sign was placed there as part of the Americans with Disabilities Act. The ACT was passed during the 1990’s to get people with disabilities in the work place and give them the mobility to function in our society. The law covers many aspects of what we take for granted. The only problem with the law is that there is no one to enforce it.

From my living room window, I saw the owner put the sign into his van. I felt my blood pressure rise and the need to discuss his attitude. I bolted out my door and confronted the van owner about his actions and told him to return the sign or I’ll inform the authorities. He gave me a head-to-toe response and smiled. He had his son with him and I suppose this was his lesson for the day.

I withdrew to my unit but felt the challenge. I grabbed my camera and ran out the door. I photographed the van in the handicapped space, the license plate, and the site of the missing sign. Now what!

I “googled” the local police and found an e-mail contact. I inserted my story, chewed my wife’s ear for an hour and rested my case.

Two days later the police contacted me and I gave them the story with the photos. They found his place of business and presented him with a summons to appear in court.

In this violent age we think that there is only one method to settle a dispute; however, "Beneath the rule of men entirely great, the pen is mightier than the sword " -Edward Bulwer-Lytton 1839

The scribbler