Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Have I just written the world's longest readable palindrome? (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BruceBeckett

I know there are already palindromes that run to thousands of words, but these seem to be computer generated lists of words that do not make much sense and are quite unreadable. So I'm not counting those.

Then there are human-generated palindromes. But some of these can also be awkward to read and sometimes don't make a huge amount of sense, so I'm not counting those either.

But if you only consider palindromes that are easy to read and make sense from start to finish, I'm wondering if mine might be a contender for longest in the world.

I write a weekly blog on cruising and for my Christmas blog this year I've created an 839-word palindrome that considers the possibility of intergalactic cruising.

You might be wondering how I achieved this feat.

Well it's all down to advance writing techniques (also known as 'kind of cheating'). Nevertheless what I've written is a genuine palindrome and it does make perfect sense.

If anyone is interested in reading it, you can find it at:

My Christmas blog

Does anyone else have any examples of palindromes they've written? Perhaps you might care to share them with me. Now I've written one, I'm quite hooked.

Last edited:

BruceBeckett

Hi Garza

Happy Christmas to you in Belize.

Any suggestions for longer ones (that are readable and make sense)? As I said in my earlier post, there are plenty of ones that run to thousands of words but they tend to consist of long lists of nouns and don't tell any kind of story or make much sense.

Although palindrome purists probably wouldn't like it, mine has a kind of narrative and does make sense.

If you have any links to palindromes you can recommend, that would be extremely useful for me. My Google searches have so far drawn a blank.

All the best

BB

PS: Glad to hear you had a good day. Sorry about the night.

I hate to say this, but I think that using a series of made up names is cheating when it comes to palindromes. The point of a palindrome is the clever use of existing words; anyone can rewrite something backwards.
I don't mean to spoil your fun, sorry, that's just my view on the subject.

BruceBeckett

You haven't spoilt my fun, absquatulator.

That's a very fair point to make, and one which I actually stated in my opening post, namely that it is "kind of cheating".

But cheating or not, I can tell you it was a hell of a job to put together. Halfway through writing it, I suddenly realised it was a crazy thing to do, but by then it was too late to stop.

All the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.