Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Has it anything to do with reading part, that one can easily write but can't converse (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ritudimrinautiyal

English is not my first language. My writing journey, which has just started, I don't mind giving some of the credit to great writings in English , I have read so far. So I find it easy to write in English with all spontaneity (not denying the fact, that I make plenty of grammatical mistakes), I mean I don't have to think in my first language and then translate it in English ( I am lazy also, otherwise I wouldn't have ever written anything in English). But when it comes to doing even normal conversation in English, my mind starts doing the translation, and got embarrassed sometimes, when some people who were very impressed by my writings called me up to congratulate me and asked me to say few things about my writings and I got so nervous to utter a single word except thanks.

Ritu

Last edited:

Llyralen

English is not my first language. My writing journey, which has just started, I don't mind giving some of the credit to great writings in English , I have read so far. So I find it easy to write in English with all spontaneity (not denying the fact, that I make plenty of grammatical mistakes), I mean I don't have to think in my first language and then translate it in English ( I am lazy also, otherwise I wouldn't have ever written anything in English). But when it comes to doing even normal conversation in English, my mind starts doing the translation, and got embarrassed sometimes, when some people who were very impressed by my writings called me up to congratulate me and asked me to say few things about my writings and I got so nervous to utter a single word except thanks.

Ritu

I think unless I had something prepared to say about a piece that I would have no clue what to say either. That's wonderful that your work is getting recognized!
Also, writing and speaking are two very different skills in any language. I think most people know that. Both take practice. Congratz!

ritudimrinautiyal

I think unless I had something prepared to say about a piece that I would have no clue what to say either. That's wonderful that your work is getting recognized!
Also, writing and speaking are two very different skills in any language. I think most people know that. Both take practice. Congratz!

I totally agree with you, it was just that I found it difficult to explain it to others. Don't say congrats, I haven't achieved anything so far. It was just that few known ones were amazed to know that I had been into writing, so they congratulated me.

Thanks a lot Llyralen, that you tried to understand what I meant.

Ritu

MistWolf

I once met a fellow from China that could sign in Amslam and finger spell but could not speak, read or write in English. I cannot speak any dialect of Chinese, yet we had no problem communicating in Amslam and finger spelling. (I've forgotten all the sign language I learned that summer except for "I don't understand".)

ritudimrinautiyal

I once met a fellow from China that could sign in Amslam and finger spell but could not speak, read or write in English. I cannot speak any dialect of Chinese, yet we had no problem communicating in Amslam and finger spelling. (I've forgotten all the sign language I learned that summer except for "I don't understand".)

Lovely!!! That is true, communication understands no barrier, if one is really willing to communicate.

Thanks for sharing.

Phil Istine

WF Veterans
I suppose with conversation someone has to be able to think on their feet more. Understanding where one word or sentence ends or begins, making allowance for different accents or dialects, and adapting to different people's speed of speech can all be daunting.
However, with the written word much of that does not apply.

druid12000

I am not a great conversationalist and I abhor talking on the phone. I find lately that I can fully appreciate taking a vow of silence. As long as I can read and write, I'm good :peaceful:

Bloggsworth

WF Veterans
I would suggest litening to the BBC World Service in order to learn the rhythm and pace of English; it a relatively "slow" speech compared to many and stress is quite important, I have noticed that a lot English speakers from the sub-continent tend to stress the wrong syllables, hence the need to listen a lot. Another trick, is to mimic the English accent when speaking as you will find that, surprisingly, it is more easily understood by English speakers as it is the accent they expect to hear - Another trick, which I found useful with French, is to sing the folk songs (Available on YouTube, often with the words overlain) as it also educates both rhythm, pace and proper stress - NOT pop songs!

ritudimrinautiyal

I would suggest litening to the BBC World Service in order to learn the rhythm and pace of English; it a relatively "slow" speech compared to many and stress is quite important, I have noticed that a lot English speakers from the sub-continent tend to stress the wrong syllables, hence the need to listen a lot. Another trick, is to mimic the English accent when speaking as you will find that, surprisingly, it is more easily understood by English speakers as it is the accent they expect to hear - Another trick, which I found useful with French, is to sing the folk songs (Available on YouTube, often with the words overlain) as it also educates both rhythm, pace and proper stress - NOT pop songs!

Thanks a lot. I have pinned that suggestion.

Doodah

English is my first language and I find it exceedingly difficult to talk to people sometimes. Being a chatterbox by nature I can spill words out of my mouth like a Formula One driver, but that's in one direction. Actually holding conversations with people has my mind stumbling. It's as if my brain and my mouth refuse to work together, especially when receiving compliments. I don't know whether to continue talking about my accomplishment or just give a quick expression of thanks and move on.

Writing isn't the same. Your brain isn't engaged an external back-and-forth. It's me in there talking to myself. However, I still have to fight off the internal compliments sometimes. They can be quite numerous when I'm feeling extra proud of myself. LOL

TheMightyAz

Mentor
Listening is far more valuable than talking. I can talk, but people LOVE talking about themselves more. So, I find the best approach when having a conversation, is to lead it in their direction.

TheMightyAz

Mentor
You and I would have a staring contest :D

giphy.gif

Sir-KP

It's actually pretty normal to have a passive language proficiency (ability to write and read, but not holding a conversation) when that particular language isn't being used for daily conversation.

Happens in my country too.

bazz cargo

Retired Supervisor
I am jealous. I am English, with no other language skills yet you are good enough to write coherently. I tip my hat in respect.

Ritu

Status
Not open for further replies.