Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Has anyone read... (1 Viewer)

valeca

Patron
Pilgrim by Tinothy Findely

Or

Prodigal Summer by Barbara Kingsolver?

I was gifted with both these books and I was curious if anyone would recommend either of them.

A

Axiadiva

Hey valeca,
I've read Prodigal Summer by Barbara Kingsolver, and I would recommend it. I don't think it's her strongest book (which would have to be The Poisonwood Bible) but it's still a good novel in its own right. Have you read other Barbara Kingsolver books?

Andrea

valeca

Patron
Hiya Axi,

Good! 'Cause that's the one I've started with! :D So far, I'm really enjoying it.

Nope, this is the first time reading her. I'm liking her style. It's...relaxing, in a way.

falco

Poisonwood Bible is marvelous.

I think I read Pigs in Heaven, or Bean Trees, or one of those.... I can't remember which.... In any case, Kingsolver is great.

strangedaze

Fuck, Pilgrim was amazing. One of my favorites, in fact. Some called it slow, but it was so engrossing. Pilgrim is a character that will live forever in your brain, constantly making you guess. Jung is pretty hot shit, too - I'm a big fan of his breed of psychanalysis, so that hit the spot. There's even an appearance by Freud.

Bottom line: I recommend this. Yes, the understatement of the century, and a cliche to boot.

Dru

valeca

Patron
I finished Prodigal Summer...and it was great! A fabu example of character driven plots, and in great characters in general. Superb.
I liked her style so much, I went out and got two more of her works, The Poisonwood Bible (which I had forgotten was the one mentioned here, so YAY!)..and Animal Dreams. :D

I started Pilgram, and have found it interesting, but ...slightly irritating where parts are moving so slowly. I feel like the author has rambled and beaten a point to death....but only at times. And I'm not that far in.

...Off to read! :D

EmuJenkins

The only Findley I've read was Spadework, which wasn't bad. I plan on reading The Wars when I need to do it for part of the curriculum.

I

Ilan Bouchard

starrwriter said:
Val,
I hate to be nitpicky, but if you want to be a writer, you should learn not to change nouns into verbs. Gifted is not a legitimate word. It's not even slang or regional dialect.

Bah, you can verb any noun you want.