Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Hard cover books from Amazon. (1 Viewer)

indianroads

Staff member
Global Moderator
Yesterday I got an error message from Amazon about my hardback cover. Even though I closely followed their template they sent me a message stating that I need to add 0.125 around the edge. This morning I made the change they requested and resubmitted - guess what? I just got the same message, stating that I need to add 0.125 around the edge.

It's pretty obvious they've not tested the hardcover option with a paperback cover that's been modified to their specifications. If I have time tomorrow I'll try their cover creator - maybe I can use my graphics there.

SueC

Staff member
Senior Mentor
Yesterday I got an error message from Amazon about my hardback cover. Even though I closely followed their template they sent me a message stating that I need to add 0.125 around the edge. This morning I made the change they requested and resubmitted - guess what? I just got the same message, stating that I need to add 0.125 around the edge.

It's pretty obvious they've not tested the hardcover option with a paperback cover that's been modified to their specifications. If I have time tomorrow I'll try their cover creator - maybe I can use my graphics there.
Really appreciate hearing about this, Ken, and thanks for letting us know. Please continue the saga! I hope you find a good cover that works.

indianroads

Staff member
Global Moderator
Ok, I had some success today. Extinction- 1, Departure has a hard cover that includes the front cover artwork from my artist. But the spline and back cover are only what I was allowed when I used Amazon’s cover creator.

The hardcover isn’t linked in their system yet, but I’ll post a link when it’s ready. I’ll write up the process in more detail later.

indianroads

Staff member
Global Moderator
Update: 7-19-21

Currently it's impossible to reformat a 6x9 paperback cover for Amazon's hard cover format. Yes, they give you a template but even if you follow it to the letter their software throws errors at you. It's still at BETA - so I imagine these issues will be solved when it goes into full production.

That said, I was able to create hard covers for the first two books of my Extinction Series. The way to do this is to use your front cover from your kindle release, and plop it in on the appropriate template of Amazon's cover creator, and it's actually pretty easy. All you do is drop your front cover in, add your picture and bio, and book description text to the back page and you're done.

If anyone would like more details, PM me and I'll drown you in verbiage - but really, it's pretty intuitive.

I got my two Extinction books back today - have a look and let me know what you think!

20210719_120621sm.jpg
20210719_120649sm.jpg
20210719_120715sm.jpg

SueC

Staff member
Senior Mentor
They look amazing! Very professional and thank so much for walking us through the process. I'm sure I'll have more questions, but it looks like all the work you put in was worth it. Do you think you will continue with this feature, or go back to paperback?

Sue

indianroads

Staff member
Global Moderator
They look amazing! Very professional and thank so much for walking us through the process. I'm sure I'll have more questions, but it looks like all the work you put in was worth it. Do you think you will continue with this feature, or go back to paperback?

Sue
Yes, I'll start providing Kindle, paperback, and hardcover options for all my books. I mean, why not? It costs me nothing but a little extra work.

RGS

I didn't even realize that they had started offering this until I published novel #4 a few weeks ago. So naturally, I had to go through and make hardcover editions available for all of the previous ones.