Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Happy Thanksgiving... (1 Viewer)

TheManx

...to all of you on my side of the pond!

Yes, it's a somewhat dubious holiday, as in, let's have our Native American friends over for a nice meal before we go back to killing them and stealing their land -- but it's the thought that counts.

Our house is usually the gathering place -- we've had as many as 18 here for Thanksgiving in the past -- but this year, it's just my wife and I and our two kids, for obvious reasons. Kind of bittersweet -- in the past few years, there's been a minimum of family dysfunction, as the main instigators have gotten clean and sober :) -- but it's also nice to not to have to worry about feeding and handling the big crowd. It's going to be a relaxing day, and yes -- there will be giving of thanks...

Cheers, folks.

-xXx-

Financial Supporter
Can we have our book back.....
what are the current overdue charges?
we might need to fish a few coins from the fountain.
*grabs snorkle*
*and fins*
*'cuz books are important like that*

did you want a couple spin-offs?
just for spring reading, i mean.

happy much-to-be-thankful-for day
to you and yours.
all sides of the pond, please.

*best*
:)

SueC

Staff member
Senior Mentor
I didn't even realise that Thanksgiving was today. I hope all those who celebrate it have a good time.

This is what I love about this site. What a kind thing to say, Phil. In my realm, few had a "good time," but tonight as I spoke to 4 children and their spouses and 11 grandchildren on Zoom, I asked them how they were doing. They're lonely, isolated and feeling flat. We included a stepmom, her first Thanksgiving alone. I listened to them all talk about what it was like to not have any of us able to be together now - and to a person, they were thankful that 2020 was almost over. I was alone all day, watching pseudo-parades on the TV, and having fish and chips for dinner. I'm becoming way too comfortable at being alone; it's almost like I will have to re-learn how to interact again.

But thank you so much, Phil, for extending your well-wishes on our Thanksgiving Day. You scored a point with me! :) LOL.

-xXx-

Financial Supporter
all aboard the Mayflower...

hey!
they called it the beatles hometown,
when they showed it on the national news,
but i recognized it.
the autonomous city-state-nation-of-esc
was on the 'merican national nightly news!
on thanksgiving!
wait.
are they warming up to ask
for
the
book...?
;)

-xXx-

Financial Supporter
That was the second time we invaded the America's....it won't be the last

maybe a nice musical festival.
some story telling and poetry readings.

beer, wine, cheese, fishnchip spaces.

and an invasion arena with a bay central space.
should they face off, or roll for who goes first?

you could retire after organizing this event.
jussayin'
;)

escorial

WF Veterans
Once the NHS becomes a subsidiary of an American company I will have no respect for the Un- united state of affluence

-xXx-

Financial Supporter
Once the NHS becomes a subsidiary of an American company I will have no respect for the Un- united state of affluence

what makes you think NHS might not oversee a joint venture between several medical companies, some of which are 'merican?

i'll be sure to share your moniker of affluent with the unemployed and pantry line persons i encounter each day.
perhaps i'll nickname them deejonezez.

so how do you really feel about NHS, esc?

don't give up yet, you.

escorial

WF Veterans
The British people have decided that they would prefer to follow the American way of healthcare...when you have more wealthy people with aspirations of wealth then they will look upon tax and life as a commodity....medical advancements are guided by one for all in my experience and not for the few...I write this as a person who has very little wealth to call upon..

-xXx-

Financial Supporter
The British people have decided that they would prefer to follow the American way of healthcare...when you have more wealthy people with aspirations of wealth then they will look upon tax and life as a commodity....medical advancements are guided by one for all in my experience and not for the few...I write this as a person who has very little wealth to call upon..

seems to me, you are british people.
you value the few.
you appear to have an abundance of wealth,
perhaps not coin.

soooooooooooooooo,
as head of autonomous city-state-nation-esc,
how will you empower yourself
to assist your citizenry-in-need?

i like the "looking for the book, invasion-fest" concept.
that could buy a lot of compassionate care.

*appts 4 me*
*be well*

TheManx

Happy Thanksgiving from us on this side of the pond. Hey, you guys get to celebrate Thanksgiving AND Christmas. :santa:

Well, usually Thanksgiving gets short shrift, because people are so into Christmas, planning and shopping etc., but not so much this year because of Covid 19. Folks are making a bigger deal of it -- and they're mostly divided into two camps: people who are saying to hell with any recommendations, we're gathering in large groups anyway -- and then there are the more cautious who are sticking to the guidelines by celebrating with people in the household. We're in the latter group. We'd rather feel a little disappointed about not having the usual celebration than worry about people getting sick. Hopefully, it's for just this year -- so why take the risk? Oh well...

P.S. -- And if there's a silver lining to any of this -- maybe it's a good lesson in not taking things for granted...

Last edited:
Reactions: PiP