Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Happy Birthday Charles Dickens: 200 Today! (1 Viewer)

RonPrice

ENGENDERING TOOL

There is a discipline, an earnestness, a self-reliance, that enables me to create myself, find my origins, in this poetry. This poetry is an engendering tool for making myself, defining myself, my life, like some progeny. Perhaps I am laying to rest the ghost of my father; perhaps I am fathering myself or replacing my father, here; perhaps I am creating sons to engage their figurative father. To some extent I am creating and communicating authority. -Ron Price with thanks to Dianne F. Sadoff, “Language Engenders: David Copperfield and Great Expectations” in Modern Critical Views: Charles Dickens, editor, Harold Bloom, Chelsea House Publishers, NY, 1987, pp.181-195.

No matter how much, or how deep, I probe
there is only so much of myself I can create.
This engendering tool produces only a child
which although, perhaps, my secret essence
is another than me....Like a bird which has
flown, it has flown and the nest is not the
bird; it is some mystery among mysteries,
a harbinger, a base and appetitive nature,
some leavening powder, power, exalted
above egress and regress, at the acme of
mature contemplation where helplessness
resides and where thought comes to its end.

Ron Price
13 November 1996
-------------------------------------
TOTALLY CONCEALED

Dickens was asked what he meant when he said he did not understand himself. He said that he never really understood what he meant. “What do my novels mean?” “They mean only that I have finished them and, in the act of completion, some new truth is revealed. Dickens saw himself as a mystrery too deep to fathom. His books he felt as if they had been written by someone else. -Ron Price with thanks to Chalesd Dickens in Charles Dickens: A Biography, Peter Ackroyd, pp.754-755.

Some mystery,
some leaven,
some power,
and so I write,
a poetic voice,
for that is me,
something from souls,
faithful souls,
gone to the great beyond,
but linked
so unobtrusively,
so seductively,