Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Ham on Rye by Charles Bukowski (1 Viewer)

strangedaze

Ah, what to say about Charlie B, poet laureate of skid row?

Ham on Rye is the semi-autobiographical tale of Henry Chinaski, Buk's literary alter ego, as he gets drunk, attacks people, suffers from horrible acne, and gets drunk again. And tries to have sex with people.

The pros:

.Gritty, vulgar, lots of edge
.Charles Bukowski's characters never take any shit
.Sexuality, and lots of it
.Blue collar lives, as seen from the gutter
.Funny, to boot

The cons:

.This may get my alternative reading card revoked, but I think his writing, stylistically, leaves much to be desired. I don't know what I was expecting, but it was sure as hell more than his technique provided.
.The novel kind of, like, just ends.
.Without the grit and grime, seems like just another coming of age story

The Bottom Line:

As I've found with most of Bukowski's writing, the content rings my bell but his writing makes me gag. Two and a half to three stars.

:3stars:

M

ms. vodka

Dear Droooooooo, aka "assboy", also known as "hottie",

I suggest that you go down to your nearest liquor store and buy a bottle of very cheap booze... what kind, may be decided by your preferences.

now, don't work----ever. if you have to work... work at a job in a factory doing something completely meaningless... have sex with only whores... do a whole bunch of drugs...

spend your days betting at the race track, if possible... at night, write--- a lot.... and have sex with more whores... and get drunk some more.

then after all is said and done, wonder why they are teaching classes on your work at various universities...

then come back and re-review this...

(or, we could just play out the scene that we discussed earlier... :wink: )

love you,
jen

M

ms. vodka

gigi, you need to go put your nose back in "Gingerbread."

there's grown ups talking here.

hugs!

vodka

M

ms. vodka

GAWD! Gigi do you always have to be RIGHT!!!???

*stomps off to bedroom and slams door*

:wink: