Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Guest Interview with Dominique Hecq, author, poet, scholar! (1 Viewer)

TKent

Retired Chief Media Manager
Copy of speculate-bt (3).jpg
We are pleased to welcome poet, writer, scholar Dominique Hecq, co-author with Eugen Bacon of Speculate: A Collection of Microlit. Dominique grew up in the French-speaking part of Belgium and now lives in Melbourne. Her works include a novel, three collections of stories and ten books of poetry. Hecq’s poems and stories have been widely published in anthologies and journals. Often experimental, her work explores love, loss, exile and the possibilities of language. Speculate (2021), Kaosmos (2020) and Tracks (2020) are her latest books. Among other awards such as the Melbourne Fringe Festival Award, the Woorilla Prize for fiction, the Martha Richardson Medal for Poetry, and the New England Poetry Prize, Hecq is a recipient of the 2018 International Best Poets Prize.

You are quite an accomplished award-winning poet, writer, scholar! If someone were just getting started on exploring your work, what are three books / poems / works you would tell them to try first?

I’d say start with Tracks (2020) because it retraces my love affair with Australia and paints a candid picture of what I’m like as a person. Go on with Hush: A Fugue (2017) to know me better as a woman and a poet. Then toss a coin. If you’ve liked the weird woman, read Out of Bounds (2009). If you want more of the weird text, read Kaosmos (2020).

When did you first know you wanted to be a poet/writer?

I’ll try not to lie (down—it could be a long answer). Let’s just say I might have been six or seven. It was my second year at primary school. I wrote 94 stories over the year, unprompted. I suppose I knew I wanted to write, but couldn’t articulate it.

What has been your favorite poem to write? Do you have a least favorite?

‘Fire relies on the leaves of gum trees’ was great fun to write. You can find it online in a number of locations, but here’s the opening:

Screenshot 2021-01-28 194800.jpg
I find commissioned poems harder to write, though once into the swing of things, there is pleasure, too. There are poems I wish I’d never written. ‘Lips that lapse’, from Good Grief (2002) is one of them. Consider:

Lips all aquiver you wish you never
wished to speak again, for you wish
the shadow could suck you in instead
of your sticking to the shadow for
lack of words that wither on the
fringe of it all like tacky flowers
wilting on the tip of this tongue
mummified in its own swathing of lip
slapping learned saying.
Don’t you think it’s untidy? Just look at the repetitions, the odd images and awkward line breaks. Yuck.

If you could tell your younger writing self anything, what would it be?

Less is more.

What is your artistic process? Is there a part that is most difficult?

Now that I’m a free woman, I write every day. Free, as in I hurled my day job as an associate professor to the cinders, and decided that writing poems and stories, rather than point scoring scholarly articles and constantly battling managers who made teaching a chore, was more fulfilling.

Consider it like a day at the office. I’ll start with a short paragraph in the morning. It comes with a feeling, a rhythm, an afterthought, an image or simply a word. Sometimes it grows into a poem or a prose poem. Sometimes into an essay or a story. Sometimes it wilts and I must let it go. But once I’m onto something I’m unstoppable. I’m like a Jack Russell that won’t let go of a bone. That’s true of short pieces as well as longer works. My children call it the zombie zone because I’m there physically, but not mentally, and I often apologise for not listening properly.

So you’ve guessed the most difficult part is to stop. That and the lull between finishing a piece and editing it. I love the editing part, but you can’t rush it. A text needs to rest. And during that resting time, doubt nibbles at me. I think I prefer the initial chaos of writing to this kind of limbo.

How long on average does it take you to write a poem?

Some poems come fully formed in a couple of minutes. Some take weeks. If I’m working on a collection, I’ll aim at one poem a day, starting with a fresh one in the morning, revising others in the afternoon.

Are there any experimental contemporary poets are you reading right now that excite you and why?

I’m reading Avant Desire, A Nicole Brossard Reader (2020) edited by Sina Oueyras, Geneviève Robichaud and Erin Wunker, which comprises stunning poems and prose poems as well as essays. I just love her work: there is no end to her experimenting with language. That’s why I dedicated Kaosmos (2020) to her.
And I’ve just finished a collection by the Australian experimental poet Jill Jones, A History of What I’ll Become (2020). It excites me because Jones melds the mundane with the sublime to create surreal effects. Oh, and I’m rereading Gabrielle Everall’s Dona Juanita and the love of the boys (2020), a book that rushes through the maelstrom of love. Ravishing love, rapturous, reckless, entrancing love. Mad love.

Speculate is described as a collection of microlit in the sub-title, and also prose-poetry. Can you give any of our readers unfamiliar with the format a short description of what it is?

Fab question! The term ‘microlit’ encompasses everything in the spectrum between flash fiction, sudden fiction, poetry and prose poetry. It deliberately blurs the distinction between forms and modes of writing. So, Speculate showcases flash fiction and prose poems, but also mini essays and fictional vignettes that take the piss out of the very notion of genre. You’ll feel the epic drive in lyrical prose and the brooding tone of anti-realist prose poems.

Tell us about the inspiration for your collaboration with Eugen Bacon on Speculate. When was the seed first planted and how did it grow?

Eugen and I are part of a prose poetry group and, at one point, we noticed that we were constantly responding to each other’s posts through fiction and feedback. So, it seemed natural to pursue the conversation between ourselves.

It is obvious from the back and forth in the work that there is a real chemistry between you and your co-author, Eugen Bacon. Can you tell us a little of how you know each other?

It started in what Eugen calls a master/apprentice relationship—I supervised Eugen’s PhD in creative writing. I was working as an associate professor at the time. The relation evolved to one of mutual respect. We’ve known each other for over ten years and have learned from each other’s stylistic differences. You could say it is precisely these differences that cement our relationship. It also energises our writing. In this project, we bounce off each other’s words and take the narratives to extremes.

What’s coming next?

Songlines, a long poem focusing on my encounter with rock art in the context of postcolonial Australia, is slated for October 2021. Hopefully the French version, adorned with photographs by Rebecca Lejeune will sync in. Then, Smacked and Other Stories of Addictions is scheduled by Meerkat Press for 2023, which is exciting because Tricia Reeks always seems to come up with surprises.

2022? Not sure. I have a couple of manuscripts under consideration in Australia and in France. I’ve entered another in a competition, so who knows?

Eugen has just sold a work of black speculative fiction soon to be, if not already, announced by a publisher she’s most excited about. Watch her space on Twitter: @EugenBacon.

She also has literary speculative fiction, Mage of Fools by Meerkat Press, and black writing in magazines and anthologies planned for 2021. She’s so prolific, it’s ridiculous to try and keep up.

Is there anything we didn’t ask that you’d like to share?

I love wild flowers and mushrooms. If there are, as Gustav Klimt reckons, three ages of woman, I’ll next be a sorceress. Given four ages, well … Thanks for putting me on the spot. I’m loving an American audience.[/FONT]

speculate-bt (3).jpg[FONT=&quot]

SPECULATE: A COLLECTION OF MICROLIT
by Eugen Bacon & Dominique Hecq

GENRE: Collection / Prose-Poetry / Speculative Fiction

BOOK PAGE:
https://meerkatpress.com/books/speculate/

SUMMARY:
From what began as a dialog between two adventurous writers curious about the shape-shifter called a prose poem comes a stunning collection that is a disruption of language—a provocation. Speculate is a hybrid of speculative poetry and flash fiction, thrumming in a pulse of jouissance and intensity that chases the impossible.

BUY LINKS: Amazon | Book Depository | Barnes & Noble

ABOUT THE AUTHORS:

Eugen Bacon is African Australian, a computer scientist mentally re-engineered into creative writing. She’s the author of Claiming T-Mo (Meerkat Press) and Writing Speculative Fiction (Macmillan). Her work has won, been shortlisted, longlisted or commended in national and international awards, including the Bridport Prize, Copyright Agency Prize, Australian Shadows Awards, Ditmar Awards and Nommo Award for Speculative Fiction by Africans.

Dominique Hecq grew up in the French-speaking part of Belgium. She now lives in Melbourne. Her works include a novel, three collections of stories and ten books of poetry. Hecq’s poems and stories have been widely published in anthologies and journals. Often experimental, her work explores love, loss, exile and the possibilities of language. Kaosmos and Tracks (2020) are her latest books. Among other awards such as the Melbourne Fringe Festival Award, the Woorilla Prize for fiction, the Martha Richardson Medal for Poetry, and the New England Poetry Prize, Hecq is a recipient of the 2018 International Best Poets Prize.

AUTHOR LINKS: Website | Twitter

GIVEAWAY: $50 Book Shopping Spree!
GIVEAWAY LINK:
http://www.rafflecopter.com/rafl/display/7f291bd825/?

[/FONT]