Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Grimsby (1 Viewer)

TheMightyAz

Mentor
Grimsby

You used to be a maze of wonder,
Of wooden swords and knights on bikes,
Of hidey holes and torchlight hunts,
Of kick ball fly and finger fights.

You used to hold amazing secrets
Down every empty alleyway;
Whispered spells on salty winds
That whisked me oh so far away.

You used to be a land of giants;
Big-handed men with grins of kings,
That pushed me with great gentleness
On roundabouts or on the swings.

But I grew up and so did you
And the giants disappeared.
The alleyways were barred for good,
Cos the knights are who we feared.

The hidey holes grew dark and grim
And the fights were not with fingers
But I swear that when I close my eyes
That other world still lingers…

2020Syd2020

Hello,

I read this as a love story to a Grimsby that never existed for the speaker. It’s a world that only ever really existed in books, museums and the mind of a child. There is almost a yearning for what never was. I like this a lot.

There is a lyricality to the piece, built through a really well thought out and constructed piece.

I don’t think I have anything to add criticism wise. I just wanted to tell you why I liked it.

Cheers

Syd

TheMightyAz

Mentor
Hello,

I read this as a love story to a Grimsby that never existed for the speaker. It’s a world that only ever really existed in books, museums and the mind of a child. There is almost a yearning for what never was. I like this a lot.

There is a lyricality to the piece, built through a really well thought out and constructed piece.

I don’t think I have anything to add criticism wise. I just wanted to tell you why I liked it.

Cheers

Syd

Yeah, it's a romanticised view of Grimsby from the perspective of a child. But in essence, the scenes hold truth. That was what I was going for anyway.

AnnieJay

Grimsby

You used to be a maze of wonder,
Of wooden swords and knights on bikes,
Of hidey holes and torchlight hunts,
Of kick ball fly and finger fights.

You used to hold amazing secrets
Down every empty alleyway;
Whispered spells on salty winds
That whisked me oh so far away.

You used to be a land of giants;
Big-handed men with grins of kings,
That pushed me with great gentleness
On roundabouts or on the swings.

But I grew up and so did you
And the giants disappeared.
The alleyways were barred for good,
Cos the knights are who we feared.

The hidey holes grew dark and grim
And the fights were not with fingers
But I swear that when I close my eyes
That other world still lingers…

Wow! You absolutely blew me away with this piece. The pace is lovely and the picture it paints is brilliant. And I think we can all relate to how real things still seem in our memories. Thank you so much for sharing! I think this is a masterpiece! Great Job!

-AnnieJay

TheMightyAz

Mentor
Wow! You absolutely blew me away with this piece. The pace is lovely and the picture it paints is brilliant. And I think we can all relate to how real things still seem in our memories. Thank you so much for sharing! I think this is a masterpiece! Great Job!

-AnnieJay

Thank you very much :)

Bloggsworth

WF Veterans
I remember Grimsby, my Great Uncle was manager of the last ever Yorkshire Penny Bank - Holidays in the 50s spent there, complete with, at low tide, a two mile wal to the sea walk at Cleethorpes, across a beach littered with dead jellyfish - Neither giant nor dragon in sight!

Last edited:

TheMightyAz

Mentor
I remember Grimsby, my Great Uncle was manager of the last ever Yorkshire Penny Bank - Holidays in the 50s spent there, complete with, at low tide, a two mile to the sea walk across a beach littered with dead jellyfish - Neither giant nor dragon in sight!

There are all sorts of exotic things littered on the beach now. Definitely no dragons though.

happy-hippie

There are all sorts of exotic things littered on the beach now. Definitely no dragons though.

You did it again! Lovely poem...made me want to visit this place...not the real one...the one in your memory before you grew up. Reminded me of Narnia (The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe). Very Lovely!