Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Greg Keyes (1 Viewer)

DavidGil

Hmm, bought a few books to add to my library lately. Namely some Greg Keyes ones which I'm reading alongside A Game of Thrones. (first real attempt at reading it, not just studying.)

The Briar King so far seems to be quite a clean read and hardly any info dumps. The dialogue is perhaps a bit odd with accents and several words made up but overall, I'm enjoying the book. 51 pages in currently.

I checked it out because I heard Martin fans enjoyed it. It's set in medieval times much like Martin's and each chapter so far has been given to a seperate view point character. Read the characters aren't safe from death either.

Anyways, basically made this thread to see if anyone else read his books and to reccomend them.

I also bought Tad William's Shadowmarch, which I think I'm going to regret. I didn't know fairies, elves etc. were recycled in his books at the time of buying. ;)

Edit: Martin-lite is the term used I think to describe Keyes, on other forums.

Last edited:

BlackWolf

I love both GRRM and Greg Keyes (although I do keep getting the names mixed up). There are a lot more made up words to come, though, so grow to love them like I did or quit while you're ahead.

I adored Shadowmarch, too. Don't be put off by the first-glance cliche. It's how you write, not what species you write, that makes a great author. Don't cut out a work of art because of snobbishness.

DavidGil

I intend to give it a chance and will do, it's mainly just the fact I picked up Shadowmarch instead of the dragonbone chair, due to thinking it might not recycle tried formulas. i.e I tend to look for works which attempt to bring fresh life to the genre. (by fresh life, I mean try to reinvent the genre. In this case, races we all know. Part of the downfall of not having much net use currently.) Anyways, mainly just personal choice whether that's being snobbish or not as I'm trying to stay away from using them myself. Mainly, I buy books for studying purposes. Hopefully it is still fresh though and I'm wrong.

I'll take your word for it anyways. Like I said also, I like Greg Keyes work and will continue to read it. Just thought I'd say about the dialogue in the thread for anyone that hasn't read it.

Last edited:

BlackWolf

I couldn't get through dragonbone chair. It's way more cliche than Shadowmarch, in my opinion. The MC is a gawky, permanantly angry teenage boy out to save the world.