Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Greetings!! (1 Viewer)

Seifer

Greetings,

I decided to join to try and look for some help. I'm working on writing a book. I have been a chef for 15 years due to the pandemic I lost my job. I thought would be a fun idea to write about things I have seen, experience and other fun stuff along my career of being a chef.

Taylor

Staff member
Global Moderator
Welcome! It would be fun to read about your experiences as a chef. Are you going to write in fiction or nonfiction? Either would work well....

Olly Buckle

Mentor
Patron
Actual personal experience is a good place to start, whether you fitionalise it or tell it as it is. Fun is a good attitude to take toward it as well, of course it is possible you may write a best seller, but it is a very small proportion of writers who actually make a real living from it. What sort of help are you looking for, there is a wealth of experience, and inexperience, here and you may find many of the questions you would ask already answered. A good place to start is 'Writing discussion' and its sub forum 'Hints and Tips', not only is there a fair bit which is of interest there, but also the opportunity to comment and make the ten posts necessary to see the full forum open up.

Welcome to the forum, Olly.

druid12000

Welcome :hi:

There is whole bunches of good info here and a heck of a lot of good folks, so dive in! (to the info, not the folks :icon_cheesygrin:)

Foxee

Patron
Patron
Hey, welcome to the forum! As a casual fan of Food Network I find the culinary world interesting. Also, even if your book doesn't center around a chef or the culinary arts everybody has to eat at some point so you've got a skillset that you can draw on. Have you ever read any Dick Francis mysteries? He turned his former career as a steeplechase jockey into characters and plot points for his books.

In any case, glad to have you here. :)

River Rose

Greetings,

I decided to join to try and look for some help. I'm working on writing a book. I have been a chef for 15 years due to the pandemic I lost my job. I thought would be a fun idea to write about things I have seen, experience and other fun stuff along my career of being a chef.

I have been a waitress many, many hrs and know my way around front lines of the restaurant business. What happens in the kitchen stays in the kitchen. Or in the cooler,,,or pantry,,,or backroom. Lol. I think writing about your experiences would be awesome. It’s a whole different life behind the kitchen doors. Welcome.

Seifer

I have been a waitress many, many hrs and know my way around front lines of the restaurant business. What happens in the kitchen stays in the kitchen. Or in the cooler,,,or pantry,,,or backroom. Lol. I think writing about your experiences would be awesome. It’s a whole different life behind the kitchen doors. Welcome.

It's the best thing in the world, when you try to explain it others they just don't understand haha !

Seifer

Hey, welcome to the forum! As a casual fan of Food Network I find the culinary world interesting. Also, even if your book doesn't center around a chef or the culinary arts everybody has to eat at some point so you've got a skillset that you can draw on. Have you ever read any Dick Francis mysteries? He turned his former career as a steeplechase jockey into characters and plot points for his books.

In any case, glad to have you here. :)

Interesting I will have to check that out !!

Seifer

Actual personal experience is a good place to start, whether you fitionalise it or tell it as it is. Fun is a good attitude to take toward it as well, of course it is possible you may write a best seller, but it is a very small proportion of writers who actually make a real living from it. What sort of help are you looking for, there is a wealth of experience, and inexperience, here and you may find many of the questions you would ask already answered. A good place to start is 'Writing discussion' and its sub forum 'Hints and Tips', not only is there a fair bit which is of interest there, but also the opportunity to comment and make the ten posts necessary to see the full forum open up.

Welcome to the forum, Olly.

To be honest I'm not sure where to start haha. I have the idea in my head I just want to have fun! See how far my mind can go. I have a really good memory I can replay events in my head that happened years ago.

Olly Buckle

Mentor
Patron
To be honest I'm not sure where to start haha. I have the idea in my head I just want to have fun! See how far my mind can go. I have a really good memory I can replay events in my head that happened years ago.

It doesn't really matter where you start, the thing about being the writer rather than the reader is that you can always go back and fill in the beginning later if you realise that you did not start there, and if it doesn't work out how you thought you can edit 'til the cows come home. The only important bit initially is to place your bum on the seat and start writing, something, anything. Once you have started, believe me, more will come.

indianroads

Staff member
Global Moderator
test

Greetings,

Sounds like an interesting background. Keep an eye on the 'Research, including Sensitive Research' topic under 'Writing Related'. People sometimes ask questions about various careers, and maybe you can help.

Glad to have you here - there's a ton of knowledge and experience available, so I encourage you to dive in.

Seifer

Sounds like an interesting background. Keep an eye on the 'Research, including Sensitive Research' topic under 'Writing Related'. People sometimes ask questions about various careers, and maybe you can help.

Glad to have you here - there's a ton of knowledge and experience available, so I encourage you to dive in.

Oh that is really interesting I will have to check that section out thank you !

vranger

Staff member
Supervisor
Greetings,

My wife and I are, as I type, watching an episode of All Creatures Great and Small. If you're not familiar, an English veterinarian wrote several books comprised of individual interesting episodes about his life and career. His series of books were good sellers, and resulted in a movie and two TV series.

I don't want to suggest this is your future :), but well written slice of life always plays.

PiP

Staff member
Co-Owner
Greetings,

Seifer, welcome to WF. Writing about your experiences is a great idea. As vranger said: A slice of life is good. Would you write a fiction book using your first hand knowledge to weave into the story, or more along the lines of a memoir? Either way we have many experienced writers here who'd be pleased to offer encouragement and technical help.

Seifer

Seifer, welcome to WF. Writing about your experiences is a great idea. As vranger said: A slice of life is good. Would you write a fiction book using your first hand knowledge to weave into the story, or more along the lines of a memoir? Either way we have many experienced writers here who'd be pleased to offer encouragement and technical help.

To be honest I'm not sure where I want to start. I would love to write about my memories and funny events. I'm almost wondering if I write about a young boy when i was younger the steps I took. I never wanted to be a big known chef on tv. I did it for the passion the andrenaline Rush. Trying to figure out which way to go about it. A book has ways been on my mind. Anthony Bourdain was on of my idols, he wrote the Kitchen confidential.

Seifer

Thank you, I have not heard of this. Looking forward to getting all the help i can !!

Reactions: PiP

indianroads

Staff member
Global Moderator

It always starts with the story. If you were sitting around a campfire with your friends, how would you tell your tale?

"I always wanted to be a chef, but never dreamed I would need a psychology degree to get by..."