Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Greetings from The Takeaway Junkie (1 Viewer)

Hi everyone.
Not sure how to start, but as i did with my 'idea' just going to jump and see where it leads.
It seems very selfish of me to ask, and i hope to repay back in some way later, but i would love to hear people's views about how you all started your journey. I understand we all write, or want to write, for many different reasons but largely its to get these stories out of our heads and let readers explore the world you created.
For the past year or so i have been constructing my first attempt at a novel. I have written my first draft and the process i started off with was to write the whole story down, editing if i could, but lay down the framework. Needless to say moving onto the second draft, the horrors and mistakes makes editing, elaborating, deleting ... painful.
My English isn't great, i'm no academic and i work full time 5 ... 6 days a week, with 2 young children so alone time and time to edit isn't easy, but i always try to stick to my plans and routines as i really want people to read my story.
I have zero friends to lean for support, they don't understand my reasons to write, and though i really enjoy writing, the process, the pinching of time and creating my own world, it is such a battle.
Is writing a challenge within yourself?
The fear that what you are doing is a waste of time and no good?
Do you guys doubt about writing and how have you come to ignore it, block it or dig up that inner belief all will come good, with the foresight that the end it can be substandard?

I apologise for this lengthy intro. Hope everyone is safe and well in these strange times. Hi everyone

TheMightyAz

Mentor
Hi and welcome to the forum! :)

You're not going to get much feedback on this section of the forum. It's not that people can't, it's that people tend not to simply because it's not a topic for the Introduce yourself thread.

You remind me of someone else ...

druid12000

Welcome! :hi:

I can certainly relate to not having the time to devote to the craft. One thing that has helped is acceptance. If I can't change it, then I work with what I have.

You have come to the right place for finding other, like-minded individuals. There's a lot of knowledge here and a bunch of good folks.

indianroads

Staff member
Global Moderator
First, is writing a waste of time? No. The only way we can grow as human beings is to push against the limitations and self doubts that bind us. Also, stories have always been the preferred way to learn and teach each other about life and the world around us.

By telling your stories you enrich the world, so do it.

Writing takes perseverance, and with that you can surmount whatever stands in your way. It’s a skill, and can be learned.

This forum is a great resource for knowledge and support. You’ve landed in a good place.

Taylor

Staff member
Global Moderator
My English isn't great, i'm no academic and i work full time 5 ... 6 days a week, with 2 young children so alone time and time to edit isn't easy, but i always try to stick to my plans and routines as i really want people to read my story.

Wow, that's impressive motivation. You must have a great story.

I have zero friends to lean for support, they don't understand my reasons to write, and though i really enjoy writing, the process, the pinching of time and creating my own world, it is such a battle.

You will find great support here.

Is writing a challenge within yourself?
The fear that what you are doing is a waste of time and no good?
Do you guys doubt about writing and how have you come to ignore it, block it or dig up that inner belief all will come good, with the foresight that the end it can be substandard?

This would make a great thread.

Welcome aboard!