Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Graham Swift's Waterland (1 Viewer)

godisthyname

Ah so much promise this book had. Anyway its such a boring book - but I've got to write about the importance of history according to the book. Anybody here read it? I am just looking for general threads of ideas to develop. I already have ideas such as the symbolism used (the train as the passage of time and as coital symbolism, etc.), but just keep throwing ideas at me till I stay stop.

Lily

I've not read it, but I just noticed something about the title . . . isn't it a paradox? :wink:

godisthyname

Of course it is. That's the point. The book is too post-modern for my tastes. The fact it is written in a style of English I can understand suggests it's too modern. The idea Waterland supposedly suggests something that is fundamentally unnatainable - it's the cross between land and water that occurs in marshland. Too damn pretentious if you ask me.