Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Good WWII Novels (1 Viewer)

Omni

We just finished covering World War II in history class and I have this sudden fascination with the war. Can anyone recommend some good historical fiction (or non-fiction) novels about this time period?

I have three excellent recommendations but they are all non-fiction. But they are extremely good.

1) Churchill War Volumes, The History of the Second World War 1-6 Box Set. You can get it from Amazon, the writing is top-class and it covers everything from the beginning to the very end.

2) Armaggedon by Max Hastings. Really interesting and unflinching detail about 1945. Really good.

3) Stalingrad and Berlin by Anthony Beevor. Both moving and very well written.

Also the novels by Sven Hassel, a ex-member of the SS, are fascinating, to get the other side of the story. Try those for a start.

Omni

Well I've picked up Jackdaws by Ken Follett. After watching the HBO miniseries, I'm really wanting to find a copie of Band of Brothers.

Anyone read either of these?

The Space Cowboy

It's not WW2, but "All quiet on the Western Front" is definitely a good read. (It's set during World War 1, and written from the perspective of a German soldier)

Also, if you're looking for a book covering the concentration camps, "Night" by Elie Wiesel does a pretty good job.

Omni

I've heard of "Night" and I believe it's Oprah's new book. I'll add that one too the list as well.