Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Good Vampire Books? (1 Viewer)

aliceedelweiss

Hi, I've been reading the Vampire chronicles for a while now (I'm on the 4th one, so I guess not that far into it ^^') and I was just wondering does anyone know of another author who writes vampires like Rice? I've read the first book in the Anita Blake series, and that was alright but I'm not one for all the sex in the books(My friend has read all of them x-x) so I was just wondering, any other good vampire books out there I should take a look at?
Alice

fastkilr

Have you read any other books Rice wrote, other than the Vampire Chronicles? You should definitly continue that series.

aliceedelweiss

I'm continuing vampire chronicles for sure, and I haven't read any others yet. But when I’m done with the vampire chronicles I might read the Mayfair (sp?) witches or Christ: out of Egypt, isn’t that what its called?
alice

Talia_Brie

There aren't many writers who characterise their vampires as the 'heros' of the story, the way Rice does. There are plenty of other vampire stories out there, but they are generally about vampire hunters, I suppose.

Brian Lumley's Necroscope books are another interesting take on vampires, but as to whether they are good or not, that's a whole other question.

aliceedelweiss

haven't read any other's,but i'm on the third in that series, Queen of the Damned.

I really suggest starting from the begining ^^' it would be all too confusing. I tried reading the vampire armand( fifth one) after reading interview, and it made no sense. Of course, my friend completely skipped queen of the damned, and continued to body thief. so I dunno. just a suggestion. and thanks talia, I'll have to look Lumley's books up...
Alice

After you have read Anne Rice, I don't think any other vampire novels will give them justice. Trust me, you cannot re-enter a genre like that when you have read books that have been crafted so brilliantly.

W

williemeikle

Can I be permitted a plug? If you like the historical bits of Anne Rice, you'll like this....

The Watchers Series is my retelling of the 1745 Jacobite Rebellion in Britain. Bonnie Prince Charlie, and all his highland army, are Vampires and are heading south to claim the British throne. The "Watchers" of the title are the guards of the old Roman wall built by Hadrian, now reinforced to keep the vamps out. It is constantly patrolled by officers of the Watch, two of whom become the main protagonists of the series.

I got the idea on a walk along what is left of the wall, and by the time I'd had finished my walk and had a few beers the first part of the trilogy was fully formed in my head. Think "ZULU" or "Last of the Mohicans" with vamps and you'll get a feel of what it's all about.

Book 1: The Coming of the King
Book 2: The Battle for the Throne
Book 3: Culloden!

Get them from
Black Death Books
AMAZON.COM
AMAZON.CO.UK

There's "taster" excerpts to read at the Black Death Books pages

http://www.khpindustries.com/watchers1.html
http://www.khpindustries.com/watchers2.html
http://www.khpindustries.com/watchers3.html

and reviews posted on my home page at http://www.willie.meikle.btinternet.co.uk

My next book, Eldren: The Book of the Dark, is also a vampire novel set in West-Coast Scotland, and is coming soon from Black Death Books.

Stewart

aliceedelweiss said:
I tried reading the vampire armand( fifth one) after reading interview, and it made no sense.

There's a slight bit of errata here in that The Vampire Armand is not one of the main Vampire Chronicles, ergo it's not the fifth. The fifth novel and conclusion of the original series was Memnoch, The Devil and was, in my opinion, the best of the series. Interview With The Vampire and The Vampire Lestat were also okay, but The Queen Of The Damned and The Tale Of The Body Thief were pure garbage.

I've dipped in and out of the later ones but never been captivated, whether it be The Vampire Armand, Pandora, Blackwood Farm, Merrick, Blood And Gold, and the completely standalone Vittorio The Vampire. They pretty much were rubbish because she peaked with Memnoch The Devil. But let's face it, she just tends to ramble with over elaborate histories than any exciting characters the older she gets.

The Tale Of The Body Thief, in the context of the Chronicles, is pretty much standalone.

red lantern

if you want a sort of mordern vampire story (set in WW1/WW2) try the Bloody Baron by Jack Yeovil or Silver Nails also by him.

red lantern

if you want a sort of modern vampire story (set in WW1/WW2) try the Bloody Baron by Jack Yeovil or Silver Nails also by him. Not very classical vampire at all, sort of vampires are people too style

AdrienneW

Laurell K Hamilton's Anita Blake novels were pretty good until it became one big orgy. You'd be safe with 1-6 I think.

N

nightwrite

Come on guys surely you can't have forgetten Dracula by Bram Stoker. Although if your looking for anything like Anne rice is not the same. But it is a fantastic vampire book. The language is a little hard to understand at first but you get used to it. And its a stand alone classic.so hey read it even if your not intreseted in vampires! You could also try 'Salem's Lot by Stephen King but I found it to be a slight cheesy rip-off of Bram Stoker. Its up to you of course. If you want the more modern one go for King. But Stoker's is much better.

Cold Twilight

The Silver Kiss -- Annette Curtis Klause

Umm...I know one or two more...but the titles and authoress escapes me....I'll be back if I remember.