Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Good fantasy books? (1 Viewer)

B

BoyWithBayonet

After reading some stuff on here, I want to try out a good fantasy book (one involving something like vampires or the like). So, if anyone can suggest some, I'd really appreciate it. Please include the author, if you can.

Thanks!
-BoyWithBayonet

starStuff

this has nothing to do with vampires, but if you like fantasy you have to read The Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan. Its amazing. Book 1 is called The Eye of the World. you'll be hooked.

only thing is you have to be in the mood for an epic. so far its 10 books long each book ranging from 500-1000 pages. so take the day off.

heatherlouise

ok, none of them to do with vampires but . . . Harry Potter series by J.K.Rowling (as if you didn't know) . Stravaganza series by Mary Hoffman. The Labrynth by Kate Mosse. they are a few i know that are good fantasy, although the first two are childrens books they are brilliant.
Heather

JK_Wannabe

BoyWithBayonet said:
After reading some stuff on here, I want to try out a good fantasy book (one involving something like vampires or the like). So, if anyone can suggest some, I'd really appreciate it. Please include the author, if you can.

Thanks!
-BoyWithBayonet

Vampire stuff (a really condensed list):

The quintessential modern vampire book is Interview with the Vampire by Anne Rice.

In keeping with the "vampire book that has something to do with New Orleans" theme, check out Fat White Vampire Blues by Andrew Fox. Funny!

If you ever wanted to read a painfully awful book, try Bloodline by Kate Cary. It's disturbing how bad this book is. And more so that it has a sequel. I mean, seriously. :shock:

As for general fantasy stuff
,I'll leave out the ones I only like because they have strong female characters in them and say:

A good example of not-very-well-known-but-good fantasy is The Gammage Cup by Carol Kendall. Trivia: The author of this book once tried to sue J.K. Rowling for her use of the word "muggles".

The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis. If you like it, there are tons more books in the series.

Don't forget to pick up something, anything, by Piers Anthony. They're actually half fantasy and half sci-fi, with a whole lot of humor mixed in.

Those are just a few suggestions. There are really thousands I could list. I mean, I used to read hundreds of books each summer. But I'm tired of typing them. Post! :)

Rahvin

The "Anita Blake: Vampire Hunter" series by Laurell K Hamilton (Yay, I remembered her name!) is pretty good.

Anne Rice's Vampire Chronicles are the definitive modern vampire books, or course, but they don't appeal to everyone.

Uhhhhmmm... Can't think of any others off the top of my head that haven't already been mentioned... maybe later...

Svalbard

The Vampyre by Tom Holland is a good read and an interesting take on the vampire genre.

As for fantasy, try the Song of Ice and Fire by George R.R. Martin.

JK_Wannabe

Rahvin said:
The "Anita Blake: Vampire Hunter" series by Laurell K Hamilton (Yay, I remembered her name!) is pretty good.

Anne Rice's Vampire Chronicles are the definitive modern vampire books, or course, but they don't appeal to everyone.

Uhhhhmmm... Can't think of any others off the top of my head that haven't already been mentioned... maybe later...
Yeah, the first few Anite Blake books should be good, but beware: at some point Laurell K. Hamilton decided that it didn't really matter if there was a good plot or likeable characters or anything like that. No, the important thing is that there are lots of supernatural sex scenes! YEAH!

*Shakes head.* I wish I was kidding.

Svalbard said:
The Vampyre by Tom Holland is a good read and an interesting take on the vampire genre.

As for fantasy, try the Song of Ice and Fire by George R.R. Martin.

Amen to that. I prefer Hollands first book, however: Lord of the Dead.

Martin is amazing, in my personal opinion he is the best fantasy writer out there. (I found Robert Jordan incredibly boring, but I've heard such great things that I tried the Wheel of Time three times. Still boring. I recommend against Jordan.)

Destroyer

General fantasy. The Demon Child trilogy by Jennifer Fallon. Some of my personal favourites. Also Warhammer books, from a range of authors. Check the Black Library website if you want to know about them. Some of them have vampires in them, some don't. If you want ones specifically about vampires, try the Genevieve books by Jack Yeovil: Drachenfels, Genevieve Undead, Silver Nails and Beasts in Velvet.

I also found the Wheel of Time a bit dull, and I only read the first book. My friend tells me the later ones are worse. I mean, how long does it take to save the world?

K

Kaila

Dhampire by Barb Hendee. Its the first in the series I think, I can't recall the first one. However there are quite a few of them as far as I'm aware.

Then other fantasy includes The black company by Glen Cook, its a series.

I could list more but several have already been listed up above.

Destroyer

Dhampir is a brilliant book. Great suggestion. Look out for the other three that follow as well. The books are as follows:
Dhampir
Thief of Lives
Sister of the Dead
Traitor to the Blood.

These are good books for vampires

red lantern

Genevieve the vampire an omnibus by Jack Yeovil (aka Kim Newman) quite good set in a fantasy world and from the vampire's view point. Quite a lot of bloodshed (most of it not by the vampire) it also has demons, witch hunters and the like. it is set in the warhammer world (think of the movie Van Helsing but darker and no gypsy women in tight pants)

The Chronicles of Darkness are good if you can get them, each book is set in one characters view point but in each book the characters cross paths at a certain point, sort of like the Canterbury tales but set in a fantasy world.

P

Phalanx_24

If you are looking for a great fantasy trilogy (but there aren't any vampyres,) I would recommend Tad Williams and his series Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn. The first is The Dragonbone Chair. Seriously might be the best fantasy trilogy I've ever read. It is, however, painfully long. But we all enjoy reading anyway, right?

Svalbard

Phalanx_24 said:
If you are looking for a great fantasy trilogy (but there aren't any vampyres,) I would recommend Tad Williams and his series Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn. The first is The Dragonbone Chair. Seriously might be the best fantasy trilogy I've ever read. It is, however, painfully long. But we all enjoy reading anyway, right?

Yeah, Memory, Sorrow and Thorn was brilliant. I was hoping he would do another story set in that world. I have read all his other stuff and it is just not as good.

I

invisible ink

Twilight is the best vampire book I've ever read. Actually, its the best book period that I've ever read. Read it.

Chaeronia

donteatpoop said:
Martin is amazing, in my personal opinion he is the best fantasy writer out there.

Hmm, Martin - after so many recommendations I finally picked up A Game Of Thrones. I'm halfway through it and, boy, what a disappointment. The characters are so lifeless and, for want of a better word, corny, that the plot has become irrelevant. Admittedly I'm only part way through the first book, and I will finish it, but it's not engaging me at all and after hearing nothing but good things about him I am a little dumbfounded as to what the fuss is about.

As for recommendations: Mieville, Kay, Erikson, Gemmell (better heroic fantasy than Martin by a long way) are all top writers and in very different ways to each other.

Last edited:

Sundown

invisible ink said:
Twilight is the best vampire book I've ever read. Actually, its the best book period that I've ever read. Read it.

I've had several people recommend Twilight over the last couple of months. Once I find my library card again I'll have to give it a try.

Chris Stevenson

I think one of the most overlooked writers of epic and urban fantasy is Poul Anderson. You might try some of his stuff for the beautiful, lyrical voice that he uses.

Chris

Talia_Brie

Chaeronia said:
As for recommendations: Mieville, Kay, Erikson, Gemmell (better heroic fantasy than Martin by a long way) are all top writers and in very different ways to each other.

George R R Martin doesn't write heroic fantasy. He's anti-'hero' actually.

With the exception of China Mieville, I agree with everyone else on that list though. All excellent.