Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Good books...? (1 Viewer)

Tyson

I am in need of reading a good book, I have recently completed my christmas books and am now on a dry spell. (I only got two) But they are "The Curios Incident of the Dog in the Nightime" and "Leven Thumps and the gateway to Foo." Both are good books, but now I don't know what to read. If anyone has read these books and know of something similar please let me know. Also I am a fantasy fan so if you know any good fantasy books it'd be appreciated.
Tyson

SxThorntonxS

I read the Curious incident of the dog... and enjoyed it. Other books i suggest, but arent really along the same lines are Hitchhikers Guide to the galaxy by douglas adams and Anansi Boys by Neil Gaiman

Stewart

Not a fan of The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nightime - a book for kids that people seem to justify being for adults because of the narrator's implied condition. It's a simple narrative because the author is a kids' author; if it were for adults I'm sure Christopher would have been smarter and had a heightened vocabulary while still being bereft of emotional understanding.

I've not heard of the other title.

Still, based on these, are these titles your definition of a good book? I ask because I would recommend Foucault's Pendulum as a good book - it's nothing like The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime, of course.

casperthesheet

I read a book called "The Hollow Chocolate Bunnies of the Apocolypes" by Robert Rankin a while ago. It was interesting to say the least and if anyone is into bizarre humor then I would say pick it up!

Stewart

If you like Pratchett then Rankin is probably a worthwhile suggestion. I was recommended Rankin's Waiting for Godalming which, given that it was published in 2000, was full of jokes that I thought had been retired in the early 90s. I struggled to find the first two chapters interesting and then binned it.

Tyson, have you read anything by John Irving? I'm currently reading his A Prayer for Owen Meany which has excellent storytelling, memorable characters, and sprinklings of effortless humour.

Tyson

No, I haven't read anything by him really, I think maybe a little here and there but nothing big. I'll have to check it out because I have heard he was good. But thank you all for your suggestions I'll try to check them out.
Tyson