Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Ghost Story with Explanation (1 Viewer)

Escribo

Are there any examples of ghost/horror stories where the reader is given an explanation of all the phenomena that have occurred? I'm thinking that it could make for quite an interesting structure. The idea would be not to give the reader the explanation as the story goes along as that would then not be scary, but to have the story in two parts, the first being the ghost story where lots of scary things are happening, and the second the view from another perspective where everything that has happened now makes sense. It seems quite appealing to me. Can I do that?

indianroads

Staff member
Global Moderator
Are there any examples of ghost/horror stories where the reader is given an explanation of all the phenomena that have occurred? I'm thinking that it could make for quite an interesting structure. The idea would be not to give the reader the explanation as the story goes along as that would then not be scary, but to have the story in two parts, the first being the ghost story where lots of scary things are happening, and the second the view from another perspective where everything that has happened now makes sense. It seems quite appealing to me. Can I do that?

You can write whatever you like because it's YOUR novel.

IMO there are too many cookie-cutter books out there. As an avid reader I get tired of reading the same plots over and over ad nauseam, so please, give us something new.

Abster99

Yeah, I think you can definitely do that! It's good to try anything different that comes to mind :)

Escribo

OK thanks, will do. My book will be too short if I don't do it anyway. But I'm surprised that I can't think of any examples of it being done before.

vranger

Staff member
Supervisor

It sounds like you're writing a metaphysical mystery. Mystery writers commonly do just what you're asking about. We see the events play out, then at the end the author drops them all into perspective so the reader sees what really happened. Classically, it's the "Detective gathers all the suspects" scene.

There is a now out of production show called "Hustle" which did the same thing with con games. The stars were a group of con artists who preyed upon unlikeable people. The writers were clever about making it look like things were going very wrong at times in each con, but it always turned out to be part of the con. At the end of each show, a series of cut scenes would reveal "what really happened".

Not only do I think you CAN do it, I believe authors owe it to the reader. It proves the author thought out the story behind the curtain and didn't cheat. Anyone could write a sequence of scary things to disturb the reader. The clever writer is going to know how and why the scary things happened, tie them all together, and eventually prove to the reader how clever the writer is.

Phil Istine

WF Veterans
I'm sure it can be done. Personally, as a reader, I prefer it when not every incident is accounted for. I even remember this at the level of Scooby-doo cartoons when the explanations came at the end - there were often one or two items that were never explained adequately.
It can leave the reader (or viewer) with 'But what about ...?' type questions. This can make the story stronger, and leave it open for a sequel.

Backstroke_Italics

You could do the classic final chapter reveal. This has been done by everyone from Agatha Christie to Scooby Doo. Literally thousands of examples. For a ghost story, this probably works best if you have a likable character in the story treating the haunting as a mystery to be solved. That way the reader can expect that there will be some resolution, which builds tension (i.e. the final reveal doesn't come out of nowhere).

Alternatively, you could divide the story into equal halves, where the second half is a long journey of explanation. This won't hold the reader's attention if it's just explaining how the events of the first half took place. It should add new emotional dimensions to the story. Important scenes of the first half should have entirely new meanings in light of the second half. For example, the ghost that appears to be tormenting characters in the first half is revealed to be protecting them from various dangers in the second half, while we slowly learn why the ghost is helping them in the first place. Play around with it and see if you discover any fun ideas rattling around in your subconscious.

Taylor

Staff member
Global Moderator
OK thanks, will do. My book will be too short if I don't do it anyway. But I'm surprised that I can't think of any examples of it being done before.

I would take that as a good thing! I love the idea, I thinks it's original and exactly the type of thing that would be popular today. Especially with all the move towards more realistic shows. It sounds like something that Netfix would pick up for script.