Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Getting into bit of a mess. (1 Viewer)

Omits

I have (in retirement) been putting together a novel (Sci-FI Arrival theme). I have now some 300k words in several 'chapters' using Libreoffice writer. I don't find it easy to merge chapters as I did not start with a template. Should I move to a different text editor and if so which one? I just want to tidy it up but unlikely to publish formally; hobby really but would like to be able to break it up and let some family who like such to read it. Many thanks.

Lawless

in several 'chapters' using Libreoffice writer. I don't find it easy to merge chapters [---]. Should I move to a different text editor and if so which one?

I find Microsoft Word more user-friendly than LibreOffice and copying big chunks of text to somewhere else has always been easy. In the past, I used Word Perfect a lot and it's possibly even better. Maybe you want to try one of those two.

robertn51

Friends of WF
Heh! Been there; done that.

Not to worry

(for LibreOffice 7.2.0.4 on Windows 10. Your mileage may vary)

Create Master Document
1. Choose File -> New -> Master Document.
2. Save Master Document.

Add Chapter Files
1. Select F5 to open Document Navigator (if not automatically opened)
2. In Navigator window, choose drop down arrow on Insert Tool (sheet with arrow) and select the File option.
3. A file browse window opens. Select the Chapter file to be inserted into the Master Document.
4. Save Master Document.
5. In the document window make sure cursor is at the end of the inserted block. Or where you want to include the next Chapter File.
6. Repeat "Add Chapter Files" for all Chapter files.

Good writing!

• Thanks
Reactions: PiP