Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

George R.R. Martin (1 Viewer)

Dephere

I have been through the recommended reading section and have yet to see the praise the George R.R. Martin deserves.

The Song of Ice and Fire series is THE best fantasy book I have ever been privileged to read, by far the most engrossing series in the genre. Great characters, paired with one of the most immense plots I have ever read lead to an awesome accomplishment. Any individual who calls himself/herself a fantasy buff without reading George R.R. Martin should be shot...come to think of it they should have their entrails fed to the ravens.

The series is composed of (so far) three books, the fourth to be released in november. Each volume contains about 1000 pages, enough to keep most readers occupied. The juice is worth the squeze, for even if you finish each book in a night (as I did) it will not leave your mind. The books also appeal to a more mature audience, thank god we have writers far better than J.K. Rawling. An awesomely written book for those of you who do not want to continue you reading the childish books of the past.

Hodge

pliable
It's supposed to be released in November, but don't be surprised if it changes to April. Again.

Almost as epic as The Lord of the Rings, but much more intriguing and fun to read. And much more complex.

Dephere

Yes, I am a first hand victum of George R.R. Martin postponing his aproximations, but the thing different about this time is that he has finished the book. The only thing left to do is for the publishers to print it, in my book the november estimation is a good one.

And yes this series is much more intriguing than Lord of the Rings.

Hodge

pliable
Pshh. I've been waiting since 2002 for this book to come out. It originally told me on Amazon.com that it was slated for late 2002. Then it was early 2003. Then late 2003. Then early 2004. Etc.

Dephere

You should not believe anything that comes from the mouths of stores. George R.R. Martin has a personal site on which he denies any claims to allowing these date estimations, but he informs you of the real release times, albeit these are also estimations. These estimations, however, are much more reliable than the stores.

Dephere

Yes, bmroyer you should really read these books.

The politics in theseries is so intricate, but to be blatantly honest I have lost interest in winterfell. My interest is piqued by the wall, mainly because I love not knowing what could come from behind the wall. Dany also has become one of my favorite character.

Can't wait until the next book comes out!

Pardot Kynes

Dany is more than likely gonna lose my interest now that she is just sitting there. What I meant was about arya and the whole "Valar Morghulis" "Valar Doheris" thing.

W

Weretigress

Personally, I'm waiting to see what is going to happen to Catelyn, now that her sons and daughters are dead or missing.

Actually, I prefer Dany to Arya. I would like some more Bran chapters, though.

Hodge

pliable
Bleh. Don't like Bran... Don't like Sansa, either. Arya's okay, but a little predictable and in my opinion, Martin's most cliché character.

My favorite is Jon Snow. I'm very pleased to see that he hasn't died yet—even when it seemed like he was going to.

I also like Stannis Baratheon and Tyrion. Tyrion is the most likeable bad guy ever (and now I think he's going to help put the Starks back into power).

I'm a little scared of what Catelyn is going to do...

Dany is okay, although I wasn't all that interested in her story until the A Storm of Swords.

But really, it's so complex and intricate that it could go many ways. The anticipation is killing me.

W

Weretigress

Oh, I can't believe I forgot about Tyrion. He's such a thouroughly likeable and yet repulsive character. One of my favorites.

Dephere

I do no think Tyrion should be perceived as a bad guy, but I agree with most you had to say.

I think Jon is awesome, but I also think Dany is awesome. The plot is so thick that I will never get bored with any of the chraracters.

Hodge

pliable
The plot is so thick I don't see how he's going to keep it within seven books... And at the rate he's writing them, I don't see how he's going to finish the series before he dies. That would really piss me off if he died before finishing the series.

Kane

I got bored with Arya's story line after a while. She keeps going back and forth, and everytime you think she's in the clear, she gets set back again.

I've disliked Catelyn from the beginning because she's a bitch to Jon, and Jon's my favorite character. Although if he is the Lord Commander, he'll never get to take his father's place and rebuild Winterfell. This means that Bran will probably be the new lord of Winterfell. I don't dislike Bran, but he's crippled, and can't really do anything by himself.

I think it's crappy as hell how Robb died.

I've hated Sansa ever since she got her father killed, because of her pettiness.

I like Dany, but I'm worried that her success will mean Jon's failure, if he does end up leaving the Wall and reclaiming Winterfell.

But hell, we're only halfway through, and Martin isn't getting any younger. The series may never even be completed, which would be a shame. Then again, halfway through the third book, I was just ready for the damn story to be over.

Dephere

I think if George R.R. Martin died I would die with him. The never knowing would kill me, not figuratively.

Dephere

I am sorry I just could not live without knowing what happens, and just so you know I would continue living (i was being dramatic).

Users who are viewing this thread