Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Genre Picker (1 Viewer)

In what genre would you like to see a mini-series most of all?

• Sci-fi/medical

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sci-fi/crime

• Crime/medical

• Sci-fi/fantasy

• Stand alone Medical

• Stand alone Crime

• Stand alone Sci-fi

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • Stand alone Fantasy

Votes: 2 50.0%

• Total voters

Kimba

It has been the dream of many a screenwriter to come up with a series that will reflect the needs of the audience majority. I hope to do just that with this vote. So it would be grately appreciated if you could register your vote.

Last edited:

mammamaia

why 'mini-series'?... i hate the bleepin' things, prefer to see a story all in one piece, at one sitting... it's a pain in the netherparts being forced to wait a week for the next part, or even till the next night...

and what do you mean by 'stand alone'?

Kimba

I'm using a min-series 'cos the plot in some series can't be written in more than a certain number of episodes [my attention span can be rather short when it comes tro writing things :p]. To write a series means you have to keeping coming up with twists and turns which can be rather tiring once you run out of them.

In case you're wondering, I'm writing a 3-parter. I've spoken to many people regarding their thoughts on how they should be screened and they prefer it if it was spilt into 3 episodes. This helped me decide how long each part of the series should be written, I understand how you feel BTW, mammamaia, but there are some series in which one sitting is just too long.

Stand alone. You'll notice in the other options, I've offered a combination of genres. Stand alone means just that - a single genre on its own ... :)

By mini-series, I mean writing in screenplays. It has nothing to do with taking it from anything that's already in print. I prefer to write original pieces based on the general consensus of others. If I write a screen adaptation of something, I'd run the risk of the original author protesting its originality.

The reason why I didn't offer the "None of the above" or "Other" option in the poll is because if people did vote for those options and it won the vote, it would leave me no wiser than before I started the poll to begin with.

Last edited:

mammamaia

do you realize that writers have little to no chance of submitting work to tv networks unless they already have a good track record and/or are known to folks in the industry?... especially if they want to write tv movies that are too long for one time slot...

a 3-part mini-series takes one helluva lot of money to produce and even more to provide time slots for, so if you're a newbie writer with no major industry connections, you'd be much wiser to work on more marketable projects, don't you think?

Kimba

Yes, I do realise that. However, I'm currently studying film production at university [a BA in Multimedia Studies] and hope to set up my own production company sometime in the near future. Admittedly, I'm only in my first year but I do know the basics of the production process.

In addition to that, a friend of mine has a brother-in-law in the Australian Film Industry and my friend said he would put a good word in for me. So, fingers crossed. :)

mammamaia

sounds like you're on a promising path, with education and connections... the two keys to success!... best of luck to you... hugs, m