Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Fyodor Dostoyevsky (1 Viewer)

B

Bahnree

I love FD! To be truthful, I've only read Crime and Punishment and the Brothers Karamazov, but I've requested more for Christmas so here's hoping!

huntingtonb

I just finished Notes From Underground. It' s intense and strange. The scary thing is when the protagonist is acting like a complete jerk and justifying it to himself in existentialist ways, I reflected on some of the more embarrassing events in my life and realized I justified stuff in similar ways too. Yeeps!

Amour

Mungye said:
I am a Messianic Jew. I loved Fyodors books and my favorites to date are Crime and Punishment and Anna Karinena, I just loved kitty and her brother in law the ridiculous and hopelessly unfaithful and silly Anna's brother.

Great stuff, though, Anna Karenina was written by Leo Tolstoy. ;)

H

Hadrien

I've read all of Dostoyevsky novels, and The Brothers Karamazov still remain the best for me. He's a genius for psychological portraits but also really talented when he's talking about metaphysics. Karamazov is the best balanced novel for me for this sole reason: you get both characters and metaphysics in a much more advanced way than most of his other books.

I've started addings some of this book on my website, if you want to print them or read them on a mobile e-ink device, this could be usefull: http://beta.feedbooks.com/discover/view_author/2

P

Pierres Cassées

Didn't Nietzche say that Dostoevsky was "the only person I have anything to learn from", after reading Crime and Punishment?

K

katm0855

I'm in the mist of reading Crime & Punishment. The way it delves into the guys pysche is pretty cool.

Dephere

Just more of the same...Brothers Karamazov was insanely awesome....a master of writing it would seem...although many classics seem to leave similar impressions.

I have The Idiot sitting new and unopened on my desk, waiting to be read. But I'm going through a few other, lighter reading books.

Markovich

I don't know why but the Brothers Karamazov wasn't my favorite book of his. I definately liked The Possessed (or The Devils depending on the translation) better. Crime and Punishment was great, same with The Gambler, House of the Dead and Notes from Underground. White Nights is one of my favorite short stories. And like you Dephere, I still have The Idiot sitting on my desk waiting to be read.

Kathyrn

I loved The Idiot. I'm always astonished when people say they don't get it. *whack* (yes, it happens)

Also loved the Brothers Karamazov and Notes

salad days

Dostoyesky is a genius! I read Crime and Punishment while a freshman in high school --it was so utterly amazing, unlike anything I've ever encountered before. But my favorite would have to be the Brothers Karamazov ..it's ineffable insanity dealing deep into human psychology. Dostoyesky is THE reason why I took 4 years of Russian as an undergrad just so I could read his books in their original format... never regretted a day of it. If anyone cared, my Russian is still good too.. =)

Short Tooth

His work is stunning. He plunges the deep darky depths of the human soul yet has a way of redeeming nearly every one of his characters some how.

Crime and Punishment is also a favourite of mine.

Notes on the Underground is certainly a precursor to Fight Club, and in many ways far superior.

The Idiot is heartbreaking.

I'm just about to begin, The Devils. What are people's opinions on that one (without giving away too much).

Lyonidus

lol, i dont think a thread has ever pissed me off as much as this one.

whoa put down your guns there you dostoyevsky loving people.
Lol it pissess me of because i have never read any dostoyevsky and now i feel that i have missed out on a great chunk of perhaps some of the finest literature to ever be published, sigh, oh well now if you dont mind im goig to go and have a bath and drown myself.

salad days

Lyonidus said:
lol, i dont think a thread has ever pissed me off as much as this one.

whoa put down your guns there you dostoyevsky loving people.
Lol it pissess me of because i have never read any dostoyevsky and now i feel that i have missed out on a great chunk of perhaps some of the finest literature to ever be published, sigh, oh well now if you dont mind im goig to go and have a bath and drown myself.
Because you said this thread "pissed" you off I almost cried.. then I started reading and um, yeah.. LOLz..

His books aren't going anywhere, so don't drown yourself yet slugger. There's always redemption in Dostoyevksy :wink: