Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Fyodor Dostoyevsky (1 Viewer)

R

Rico

My personal favorite is Crime and Punishment. any other dostoyevsky fans out there?

R

Rico

interesting. (i'm barely conversational in russian, let alone being able to read much in it)

Drzava

I loved Crime and Punishment, I read Poor Folk and it was one of the most boring books I've ever read, second only to Tolstoy's Sebastopol. I have Brothers Karamazov but it's so old the smell hurts my head everytime I open it so I need to find a newer copy.

Ralizah

I have now come to a final decision on this after reading more: The Brothers Karamazov. It is brilliance!

strangedaze

Preach on. My intent wasn't to reduce Notes to simply a character sketch, though I still think its strength rests primarily on its characterization of the narrator.

L

Lizra

I am actually just starting Crime and Punishment.
I'm reading it in English however, because my Russian (reading wise) is not so great anymore.
After living away from your home country for five years its amazing the things you can forget. Even the language. :cry:

marl

"Crime and Punishment" is one of my favorite books. I remember it as being kind of funny. Dostoevsky would set up a situation and a hundred pages later the punch line would come through, by way of some subtle :idea: action by a character or something that is said. The cat and mouse game between Raskolnikov (I think that's how his name is spelled) and the detective is freaking great. marl

Asphyxiation Len

I'm about to read Part 4 of The Idiot, but so far (and until the end I imagine) i've been absolutely blown away by this book. Dostoevsky demonstates a ridiculously astute psychological insight. It is really tender in parts, and really quite moving. I'll read some of his other books one day.

strangedaze

I'm about to read Part 4 of The Idiot, but so far (and until the end I imagine) i've been absolutely blown away by this book. Dostoevsky demonstates a ridiculously astute psychological insight. It is really tender in parts, and really quite moving. I'll read some of his other books one day.

everyone recommends THE IDIOT to me. even amazon.com. ive only read NOTES FROM THE UNDERGROUND, but liked it enough. let us know how the book turns out.

strangedaze said:
The Brothers is insanity and Notes from the Underground is THE best character sketch around.
Crime and Punishment is a classic character sketch of nihilistic insanity, but "Brothers" has the one line that should be included in the bible as the eleventh commandmend---Love thy neighbours but hate the Jews.

In the current atmospere of political correctness people tend to forget that GW was running around saying that Jews cannot get into heaven because they are not "saved" (his mom shut him up on that) and that Jimmy Carter supported an anti-Zionist resolution in the U.N. when he was president:-s

Dostoevsky was like the Russian Shakespeare...his writings are timeless\\:D/

Asphyxiation Len

strangedaze said:
everyone recommends THE IDIOT to me. even amazon.com. ive only read NOTES FROM THE UNDERGROUND, but liked it enough. let us know how the book turns out.

Yes, it turned out good. I recommend.

Mungye

EminemsRevenge said:
Crime and Punishment is a classic character sketch of nihilistic insanity, but "Brothers" has the one line that should be included in the bible as the eleventh commandmend---Love thy neighbours but hate the Jews.

In the current atmospere of political correctness people tend to forget that GW was running around saying that Jews cannot get into heaven because they are not "saved" (his mom shut him up on that) and that Jimmy Carter supported an anti-Zionist resolution in the U.N. when he was president:-s

Dostoevsky was like the Russian Shakespeare...his writings are timeless\\:D/

I am a Messianic Jew. I loved Fyodors books and my favorites to date are Crime and Punishment and Anna Karinena, I just loved kitty and her brother in law the ridiculous and hopelessly unfaithful and silly Anna's brother.

M

mvr_moorthy

strangedaze said:

Well, Crime and Punishment and Brothers Karamazov are thematically great
but for sheer narrative finesse and tempo The Idiot is unsurpassed.Do read
and watch out for the Myshkin - Rogozhyn and Natasha- Alyesha
character juxtapositions. A very gripping intense novel!

huntingtonb

Hey, anyone who's interested in existentialism, Sock just started a thread on it in the Lounge section.

Last edited: