Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

From Tabletop to the Page (1 Viewer)

vitriohl

Hello everyone,

Just a little bit about myself, I have always loved crafting stories, but it has mostly taken place in tabletop role-playing. I recently wanted to try my hand at novel writing, but after several false starts I decided to take a different approach. I was going to flesh out my world with short stories that would hopefully create canon I am happy with, and if all works well, stumble upon an idea that cannot be contained by a short story. My primary goal, really, was just to write and stop making excuses, even if it's just 20 minutes every single day.

I am a huge fan of epic fantasy, but I will try other genres if the topic is interesting. I currently work in IT, but can definitely carve out plenty of writing time, which I hope to do even more of moving forward.

I am excited to jump into this new community and look forward to the new discussions it will bring.

And that is pretty much it.

Taylor

Staff member
Global Moderator
Welcome to the forum! We're pleased to have you. I like your goal. I am a big believer in obtainable goals. My current goal is 300 words a day. I write a lot more than that, but having the obtainable goal gets my derrière to the keyboard.

TheMightyAz

Staff member
Mentor
Welcome to the forum. That's an excellent approach. I myself am thinking of writing a short story from the perspective of one of my characters just to get to know him and his culture better. He's likely going to be the lead in the next novel (if I ever finish this one).

indianroads

Staff member
Global Moderator
Hello everyone,

Just a little bit about myself, I have always loved crafting stories, but it has mostly taken place in tabletop role-playing. I recently wanted to try my hand at novel writing, but after several false starts I decided to take a different approach. I was going to flesh out my world with short stories that would hopefully create canon I am happy with, and if all works well, stumble upon an idea that cannot be contained by a short story. My primary goal, really, was just to write and stop making excuses, even if it's just 20 minutes every single day.

I am a huge fan of epic fantasy, but I will try other genres if the topic is interesting. I currently work in IT, but can definitely carve out plenty of writing time, which I hope to do even more of moving forward.

I am excited to jump into this new community and look forward to the new discussions it will bring.

And that is pretty much it.
Lots of fantasy writers around here, so you’re in good company and you’re off to a good start already.
Welcome!

VRanger

Staff member
Administrator
My first real writing came out of having played D&D, developing my own game system, and launching a company based in interactive fiction. It's a solid starting ground. :)

Lawless

after several false starts I decided to take a different approach. I was going to flesh out my world with short stories that would hopefully create canon I am happy with

I'd say that's an excellent idea.

In fact, it is recommended that a beginning writer write a number of short stories before attempting a novel. I discussed this years ago with a British writer. I argued that it would be a pity to waste a great idea on a short story, and he insisted that it's necessary to practice on short stories before you undertake something as grandiose as a novel.

I didn't follow the advice because I hate to read short stories and I can't write what I hate. However, I'm softening to the idea. This month, I'm even participating in the very short story contest on this forum.