Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Fresh off the bus, stepping timidly into ... (1 Viewer)

qwuibble

... Writerland!! I'd describe myself as a "tolerant haphephobe", but I am sort of angling for a big, warm, back-cracking virtual bear hug right now ... (*/ω\) So let's start anti-clockwise and work our way round the circle! Hahahaha

I'm remarrying writing. I lost my first love - repressed it, tried to forget it, quell it - but a spark has been rekindled, and we're moving in together. I have the fortune of free time right now, and I've been pumping myself like a morphine addict full of information and ideas and things like that. I came here because I realized that there was one crucial thing - well, besides no skill or knowledge; "what are those dagnab plot-things called, an' how do ya use 'em??" - that I was missing in my private creative purgatory: fellowship! I was an island! Totally isolated! I didn't know what to know and what I didn't know, and I didn't know where to begin! I'm hoping that a sense of community, along with properly teaching myself the ABCs of writing that I must have missed along the way, will encourage me to stoke the nascent flames of my old love.

Basically ... gimme love uwu xdxdxdxd heartu heartu

hahahahahahaha
but in all seriousness, I'm really just ravenous to learn. I wanna "connect with like-minded individuals", and share in the ecstasies and woes of the process - finally ask personal questions that can't be answered by a search engine, and have my expression evaluated for the first time. I just realized right now: I've never had anyone look at any of myself! Well, besides the two-page clusterfudge my mom printed out when I was twelve ...

So. Err, how do you take an idea from infancy to a fully-fledged story? There are hundreds of tutorials and teachings on the Internet, and I still have not a single clue.

Last edited:

WasatchWind

... Writerland!! I'd describe myself as a "tolerant haphephobe", but I am sort of angling for a big, warm, back-cracking virtual bear hug right now ... (*/ω\) So let's start anti-clockwise and work our way round the circle! Hahahaha

I'm remarrying writing. I lost my first love - repressed it, tried to forget it, quell it - but a spark has been rekindled, and we're moving in together. I have the fortune of free time right now, and I've been pumping myself like a morphine addict full of information and ideas and things like that. I came here because I realized that there was one crucial thing - well, besides no skill or knowledge; "what are those dagnab plot-things called, an' how do ya use 'em??" - that I was missing in my private creative purgatory: fellowship! I was an island! Totally isolated! I didn't know what to know and what I didn't know, and I didn't know where to begin! I'm hoping that a sense of community, along with properly teaching myself the ABCs of writing that I must have missed along the way, will encourage me to stoke the nascent flames of my old love.

Basically ... gimme love uwu xdxdxdxd heartu heartu

hahahahahahaha
but in all seriousness, I'm really just ravenous to learn. I wanna "connect with like-minded individuals", and share in the ecstasies and woes of the process - finally ask personal questions that can't be answered by a search engine, and have my expression evaluated for the first time. I just realized right now: I've never had anyone look at any of myself! Well, besides the two-page clusterfudge my mom printed out when I was twelve ...

So. Err, how do you take an idea from infancy to a fully-fledged story? There are hundreds of tutorials and teachings on the Internet, and I still have not a single clue.
My big thing that I will recommend, especially if you are writing fantasy and science fiction, is to watch Brandon Sanderson's free writing lectures. You are basically getting a college course in writing from one of the biggest fantasy authors in the world. I can't recommend enough:

KatPC

Welcome aboard @qwuibble!!
Never worry about anything, feel free to write, ask, comment! We are all swimming through these rough seas searching for answers.

Foxee

Patron
Patron
Yay, qwuibble is here! I know I have a fox as my avatar but I give pretty good bear hugs so BIG OL HELLO HUG!* and you are most welcome here. (Hope I didn't scare you too much)

Sounds like your relationship with writing is 'complicated' which puts you among a lot of fellow sufferers. But suffering isn't the only thing to do, nope! You can learn and practice and grow and even have some fun.

Is there a particular kind of writing or a genre that you are interested in? Or is it just everything? What do you like to read?

Taylor

Staff member
Global Moderator
Welcome to the Forum Qwuibble! I came here for fellowship and community as well. It has not disappointed. You can talk about writing or you can just have fun in the Tavern. Sometimes just sharing what you had for dinner can get you off that island.
What a great question. It caused me to spend time thinking of an answer for you. I don't have a definitive one. Just like there are hundreds of tutorials, there are hundreds of ways to do this. I'd need to learn more about how you think. Maybe try posting a few of your ideas in the Plot and Character Development forum or simply ask people to share their process. I'd love to get involved in this discussion.

Look forward to seeing you on the boards.