Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Free exposure for writers! (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JJBuchholz

If anyone has already come up with this idea, I apologize. I just thought of it last week, and I've undertaken a mission to
get more exposure locally with my material.

This idea came about due to my day job, in which I drive around town all day every day as a courier. I noticed more and
more of those 'little libraries' popping up, so I printed out a couple of my short stories and novellas and have been
leaving them inside said little libraries. I never really gave them much though until now, and upon visiting them, have
noticed that they contain a wide variety of reading material.

-JJB

apocalypsegal

I've seen other authors do that. Some even run the little library, take care of it, see that it's stocked and so on.

Another idea I've seen is to leave a copy of your book on park benches, at bus stops, in cafes, etc.

Yet another is to donate copies to senior facilities, libraries (though many have rules about acquiring books so you have to check), and such places.

Whether any of them work is unknown. Maybe you'll find a new fan, maybe you'll make people who have to clean up and dispose of "lost" books hate you and swear to never read anything you write.

JJBuchholz

Another idea I've seen is to leave a copy of your book on park benches, at bus stops, in cafes, etc.

An interesting idea, but winter is in full swing right now. Leaving a novella to the elements might not work at the moment.

Yet another is to donate copies to senior facilities, libraries, and such places.

I had also thought about leaving several copies of different short stories/novellas in various places inside the local library. On empty tables,
hidden in some books, on the wall in the foyer where pamphlets and other free local magazines reside.

-JJB

Hector

What do you expect to gain from that? Do you write, at the end of the short story, a note saying, 'By the way, visit my page on Amazon and buy my books' or something?

JJBuchholz

What do you expect to gain from that? Do you write, at the end of the short story, a note saying, 'By the way, visit my page on Amazon and buy my books' or something?

I am not looking for monetary gain by embarking on this little project. If someone reads said copy of my short story or novella and enjoys it, then I am glad to have
opened that doorway for them, so to speak. My email address is listed on the bottom of the last page in case they would like to contact me and talk about what they
have read.

Writing is my passion, and I've always wanted to share it with others, and let them make their own minds up.

Literature is life.

-JJB

Olly Buckle

Mentor
Patron
I went into the local library in Hastings and donated a copy, soon after the senior librarian wrote to me ordering a further six copies. When I was out and about pre-lockdown I used to leave books I had finished on the counter in coffee shops with a note saying "Free book", I buy my books in charity shops on the whole, so it didn't cost much.

Status
Not open for further replies.