Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Franz Kafka (1 Viewer)

Delvok

I've read the complete book of his short fiction and I've read The Trial, which I really liked. I think that he's an acquired taste but is brilliant in his own way nonetheless. I think that I like best, in his short fiction: In The Penal Colony, A Message To The Emperor (which is kind of an excerpt from The Great Wall of China) and, of course, The Metamorphosis.

Anyone else here like him?

A

Autumnal Equinox

Definitely love him. But I always feel guilty when I read his stuff because he never wanted it published. After he died, his family published it. Jerks. But I'm thankful they did. So conflicted. :-?

Delvok

Definitely love him. But I always feel guilty when I read his stuff because he never wanted it published. After he died, his family published it. Jerks. But I'm thankful they did. So conflicted. :-?

Yeah, Max Brod (his buddy who published The Trial, The Castle, Amerika, and some of his short works) went against his wishes and published some of his works. However, a lot of his short stuff did in-fact get published.

I always feel bad for Kafka, because of his miserable life.

D

Dark Fact

Kafka is one of my favorite writers. I think he's brilliant. My favorite short story of his is "A hunger artist". You should all check it out if you haven't yet.

FMK

I've only read The Metamorphosis, and I do declare that I burn that book in my dreams. It was incredibly short, but in my opinion, not short enough.

Though to be fair, that's the only taste of Kafka I've ever had, so I can't rightly judge him based on that.