Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Foxee's random artwork (1 Viewer)

Foxee

Patron
Patron
Today I visited a small cemetery near my house and parked under the tall, old trees to sketch. Not 100% happy with the sketch (I kept getting antsy) but I don't hate it either. And it was gorgeous out so with the sunroof and windows open I had some good quiet time.
Shade sketch in cemetary in Fotor.jpg
"Shade" Ball-point pen

midnightpoet

WF Veterans
Liked this, if you look very carefully at the background you can see what looks like gravestones. My mother's side has its own "family cemetery" that's been there since the civil war. I remember I was in my last year of high school when I was one of the pallbearers for my grandmother's funeral. It has a separate section for "family servants" which I figure were (at least former) slaves. Had some big (and venerable) live oak trees. The sketch reminds me of impressionism.

Last edited:

Foxee

Patron
Patron
Thank you for commenting. :) I did focus on the path and the trees rather than the cemetery stones which are indicated very lightly through the gaps in the trees. The tree trunks themselves were intricate in how the lines and grooves ran. I'll have to find out what these are but if it's tree-studies I want, this place is a good one.

Biro: Just before dawn sounds wonderful but as a night owl I rarely see it and never without a vat of coffee.

Midnightpoet: I see those small family cemeteries here, too, sometimes just a few stones just outside someone's yard or unexpectedly at the top of a hill. Almost always with very worn gravestones. It would be interesting to do a study into your family.

midnightpoet

WF Veterans
Thanks, Foxee; I imagine this was pretty common, my family moved west to Texas after the war, settled down at a place, and intermarried with people already there. My grandmother (already in Texas) and grandfather (Georgia) both were born in 1870. There's an old log cabin near the cemetery built by some pioneer cousins. I got into (Ancestry.com) for a while but had too much "real life" to keep me busy.