Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Foucault's Pendulum - Anyone? (1 Viewer)

Talia_Brie

I've heard a lot of recommendations for this book, and I just want to know what it's about, and whether it's worth picking up.

Anyone?

Stiltspear

Well.... Umberto Eco has a very hard writing style to get into. Very wordy, very complicated - a lot of people find him somwhat inaccessible. I read this book due to my interest in the Knights Templar. While the plot does get exciting towards the end of the book, it meanders a while to get there, and the premise of a computer connecting seemeingly random historical events into some conspiracy isn't as exciting as the blurb makes it seem. You learn a lot about various historical orders, namely the Knights Templar, but others as well, and once the huge, centuries-old conspiracy comes to light it does get more exciting. The book also had a really good ending, I thought.
I recommend you find it at a library and read the first few pages, which will give you a good idea of his style and how much information and words he packs in, and see if you like that. The style is the main thing that puts people off - it is not a light or fun read. I needed to force myself to continue once or twice.
If you're looking for a thriller along the lines of the Da Vinci code or something like that I'd stay away, otherwise try it at least.

Hope this helps.

Talia_Brie

Yep, ta.

I hated The Da Vinci Code, so I think I'm ahead of the game there. Also had some interest in the Templar Knights when I was at uni.

Stewart

Foucault's Pendulum is one of my favourite novels of all time. It centres around the story of three Milanese intellectuals and is told in retrospect about their history as they met at university and went on to work in a vanity press, sorting out the absolute dross (and we're talking alchemy, Templarism, Rosicrucianism, Apocrypha, Qabbalah etc.) from the actually rather good texts. A man comes to visit them, tells them about a story he has, which (being The Da Vinci Code in 30 pages) they laugh at but the next day when he is murdered they begin to suspect that maybe something is behind it all. They then start to piece together the history of the world as the nature of the world we live in becomes one huge conspiracy with a tragic outcome.

Regarding the post about reading the first few pages; I wouldn't do that. They are deliberately hard-science and can be off-putting. Once you get past them the narrative picks up pace...

Talia_Brie

So it's a story in which Dan Brown is murdered before the Da Vinci Code is published...

If only, hey?

BTW, thanks very much, I'm going to run out and get it tomorrow I think.

Ta for your input.