Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Formatting (2 Viewers)

Friends, my name is Marshall Adams. I recently retired from a thirty-three year contract where I served a Southwest Washington power company, working along several reservoirs and their adjoining forested lands. Simply put, I worked in wildland management as that relates to wildlife and forests, spending much time in the Gifford Pinchot National Forest. I was daily in the outdoors and have a heart for storytelling.

I joined only a few days ago and have a question about self-publishing. I hired a person to format my first book for Kindle Direct Publishing and Amazon. My question goes from there to PDF editing software. I am retired and do not want to pay for Adobe Acrobat. It's possible that I am stubborn also. What do I need to be able to edit errors I find in books already published? I often sit in one of many remote, wilderness areas with my laptop, and I need a desktop editor that is completely self-contained and works offline.

I started the company, Wilderness Writers Association, LLC with my thirteen-year-old grandson and dream of writing as many books as the Lord gives me time. He and I have written one book. It is titled "The Lottery Ticket 2035." You could see it on Amazon and read the first two chapters free. But I did not come to this site for book sales. I came with the hope to turn an aging woodsman into a better writer. Please consider the question I asked as part of my introduction to the forum.

PiP

Staff member
Co-Owner
Hi Marshall, welcome to WF. What a wonderful project to start a company and write and publish books with your grandson! We are a friendly community so do not hesitate to post work for critique (after 10 posts) or ask questions in the Writing Discussion forum.

PiP

Staff member
Co-Owner
I joined only a few days ago and have a question about self-publishing. I hired a person to format my first book for Kindle Direct Publishing and Amazon. My question goes from there to PDF editing software. I am retired and do not want to pay for Adobe Acrobat. It's possible that I am stubborn also. What do I need to be able to edit errors I find in books already published? I often sit in one of many remote, wilderness areas with my laptop, and I need a desktop editor that is completely self-contained and works offline.
Good question. Can anyone offer any suggestions?

Taylor

Staff member
Global Moderator
Welcome to the forum! Congratulations on your book. What a nice way to spend time with your grandson.

I'm not an expert in the area of self-publishing, but we have many experts on the forum who can help you. You may find the answer to your question here:

https://www.writingforums.com/forums/self-publishing.264/

Look forward to seeing you in the discussions.

• Thanks
Reactions: PiP

Megan Pearson

...What do I need to be able to edit errors I find in books already published?...
Hi MarshallWriter, welcome! That is a great question. I am not self-published, but curiosity about your question (because who knows, maybe someday soon I could have the same question?) sent me to Amazon's self-publishing page (Kindle direct), where they state you can "Make changes to your books at any time." So, depending on how, exactly, your account is set up, I would imagine you can correct what you find, as you find it.

As far as pdf editing software, I'm only aware of adobe. You used to have to buy it by the box, but now who knows if it even comes in a box. Like you, I also do not 'live' in the cloud so having software that does is, well, impractical. However--and this is hearsay--I've heard you can still run cloud-based software on your device even if you aren't in the cloud. It only updates your data when you reconnect. Might be something worth asking around about?

Also, what an amazing endeavor to set out to do with your grandson! Good luck to the both of you!

indianroads

Staff member
Global Moderator
Friends, my name is Marshall Adams. I recently retired from a thirty-three year contract where I served a Southwest Washington power company, working along several reservoirs and their adjoining forested lands. Simply put, I worked in wildland management as that relates to wildlife and forests, spending much time in the Gifford Pinchot National Forest. I was daily in the outdoors and have a heart for storytelling.

I started the company, Wilderness Writers Association, LLC with my thirteen-year-old grandson and dream of writing as many books as the Lord gives me time. He and I have written one book. It is titled "The Lottery Ticket 2035." You could see it on Amazon and read the first two chapters free. But I did not come to this site for book sales. I came with the hope to turn an aging woodsman into a better writer. Please consider the question I asked as part of my introduction to the forum.
First, what do you use to write?
If you use MS Word, you have all that you need.
There are word templates you can download from Amazon and copy your novel into for publishing. Word can export PDF files, which can be easier to upload for some book formats, and you can download a free version of grammarly that plugs into Word.
For the cover, you can hire a professional artist, download a pre-made cover for less money, or use the Amazon cover creator for free.