Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

For the Love of Writing (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have wondered many times whether i am insane, staying up till 2-3am editing my story, having been at work all day with different stories pouring out of the mind. I always see writing as a journey, one that never finishes, a bliss to enter into when real life is anything but. I have thought long and hard about what i would do if i didn't have a laptop to type the madness away, to try and capture all these characters, their voices, the backgrounds that the mind conjures up, yet i feel ... blessed in ways that i can put this into words ... maybe not as good as others, but at least i can try and then pick up things along this road and improve the 'how to get that stuff up there ... to the beautiful black and white.'

I'd love to 'hear' what everyone feels.

If i didn't write, i'd be sitting in front of the tv watching rubbish or on the phone, on youtube watching music videos or any random clips, yet as boring as it may sound when i tell my wife ... i'm going to do some writing ... it's great and i could not think of a better thing to do to 'waste' my time.

TheMightyAz

Mentor
Sometimes I cry at the keyboard and as my tears hit the keys they write half decent sentences. Here's an example:

'Bog smelt socks on Wednesday but Tuesday smelt nothing'

Not the best sentence ever but, for tears, I think it's pretty good. Perhaps one day I'll grieve a novel. Who knows!

I dread to think what your sneezes can write!

Hopefully one day AZ ... when i get my book out and you read it ... maybe you will cry out the words "that was bloody excellent ... i know that guy from that forum place ... what's it called again?"

JJBuchholz

Storytelling is the essence of life. Personally, I absolutely NEED to tell the stories that pop up in my head. I want to share them with the
world and bring them to life as best I can. Writing is my passion, and I can think of no better thing to enjoy.

-JJB

EternalGreen

George Lucas called writing the script for Star Wars "Bleeding On The Page".

George Lucas: the man who taught us how not to write scripts.

The original scripts are hilarious (in a mostly bad way). His writing is a perfect example of passion without a lot of skill. I wouldn't necessarily listen to him.

Writing is like pricking your finger for a few drops of blood them carefully distilling them in a lab for hours.

I'm very interested in hearing everyone's views about whether i should write a 'blog' here about this 'writing journey.'

When i'm sitting down in front of my laptop, having had tons of things spewing out the head all day, i only worry if i haven't captured the stories that played so beautifully in my mind. I found writing my first draft ... amazing. Going to work and thinking of the dialogues, the story line, progression, what this character will think and say ... and coming back home eager to throw everything down on that white screen ... it was the most enjoyable, rewarding thing i felt. Obviously come to revising each days work, i find error upon error, and now moving onto my second draft i see the absolute horrors of what i had wanted to convey but failing miserably, i now know i'm only at the start of this blood sweating task to have something fit enough to publish.

Days and weeks i procrastinate, looking at this one sentence that just doesn't flow, and 2 hours have later; i have redone the first half of the chapter and progressed a measly 2 paragraphs further and then i still look and think whether it is fit for purpose.

When you guys finish writing a short, novella, book, series ... what's it like? Is it like a huge amount of joy that it is out in the world for all eyes to see ... or shun, or is it the trepidation that this baby you created ... the years of careful grafting and attention to detail maybe pummeled by some 'critic' who knows all? Or is it relief? Pride? Or ££?

indianroads

Staff member
Global Moderator
I love to write. But, unlike other pleasurable things I do, just before I sit down to write I get anxious. The expectation of creativity brings with it a certain discomfort. Can I do it? Will it happen? But when it happens...oh boy...nothing feels better.
I’m happily content when I sit down to write. My characters are real people to me and I love the story they are telling me. I don’t mind writing a dirty first draft because my writing process includes a lot of editing.

Taylor

Staff member
Global Moderator
I’m happily content when I sit down to write. My characters are real people to me and I love the story they are telling me. I don’t mind writing a dirty first draft because my writing process includes a lot of editing.

I hope to get there someday, to be happily content. As a rookie, I'm not sure what my editing process will look like. Currently, I work with a beta reader who is an English teacher and published author. I send her my chapters as they are completed. She makes a few comments that keep me on track, but not a lot of corrections. I also clean up plot holes as I go and even cross-reference conversations to make sure there is continuity, like a character already said something, or should have said something, or had residual feelings, etc.

I suspect and hope...and don't hold me to it, that there will be some reward of less editing due to the fact that I have pretty high standards for what goes down the first time around. Hence the anxiety.
But don't get me wrong, it's not like it's super painful...just a little angst that goes away as soon as I write the first sentence. :smile:

indianroads

Staff member
Global Moderator
I hope to get there someday, to be happily content. As a rookie, I'm not sure what my editing process will look like. Currently, I work with a beta reader who is an English teacher and published author. I send her my chapters as they are completed. She makes a few comments that keep me on track, but not a lot of corrections. I also clean up plot holes as I go and even cross-reference conversations to make sure there is continuity, like a character already said something, or should have said something, or had residual feelings, etc.

I suspect and hope...and don't hold me to it, that there will be some reward of less editing due to the fact that I have pretty high standards for what goes down the first time around. Hence the anxiety.
But don't get me wrong, it's not like it's super painful...just a little angst that goes away as soon as I write the first sentence. :smile:

I use MS Excel to track plot points and even redundant dialogue. I'm kinda nit-picky about it, and I'm certain that my over-planning and checks would drive most everyone crazy. That said, my engineering projects always worked and were easily manufacturable (of course, there's no cure for feature creep), and my writing process is similar to what I did in my old job. I spend months in plotting before I start the first draft. After that, I spend even more time doing multiple editing passes. I have an editor I trust, she sees it one time and ends up making only a few changes.

Taylor

Staff member
Global Moderator
I use MS Excel to track plot points and even redundant dialogue. I'm kinda nit-picky about it, and I'm certain that my over-planning and checks would drive most everyone crazy. That said, my engineering projects always worked and were easily manufacturable (of course, there's no cure for feature creep), and my writing process is similar to what I did in my old job. I spend months in plotting before I start the first draft. After that, I spend even more time doing multiple editing passes. I have an editor I trust, she sees it one time and ends up making only a few changes.

Yes I can see that the precision of an engineer would be a great discipline in writing. I experience that level of detail and cohesiveness in your novels. So how long do we have to wait for Inception?

indianroads

Staff member
Global Moderator
Yes I can see that the precision of an engineer would be a great discipline in writing. I experience that level of detail and cohesiveness in your novels. So how long do we have to wait for Inception?

Thank you - you're very kind. I'm still definitely a work in progress and have a LONG way to go before I consider myself a passable writer.

Inception is in line behind Redemption, which is due out in July of this year. For Inception, I'm aiming at a release date of April or May of next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.