Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Font Sizes throughout book (Front pages are smaller font than main story font.) (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

carrzkiss

I am finalizing my first book for submission to CreateSpace.
I have all my chapters done and ready, the question I have is the following.

The story is written in the following font.
Lucidia Sans-Serif 11pt

The about Author and other front pages are done in
Lucidia Sans-Serif 9pt.

Are the front pages OK? Or should I have all pages the same, as the story, of 11pt?

Thanks All
Wayne

Terry D

Retired Supervisor
I think it's a matter of personal preference. If you like the look of the 9pt font for the front stuff, go with it.

carrzkiss

Thanks, Terry.
I will go with that.
Everything looks good and is ready to go.
Just need to compile everything together, and get it ready for submission.

have a good one.
Wayne

Jay Greenstein

Phones and pads scale the font to the size of the page. So 12 point, which is standard seems reasonable. If you want to see an example, All my novels are 12 point Times New Roman, other than the table of contents. Download an excerpt to your reader and see if smaller would work, and there you are. In any case, if you don't like it after you upload it, simply change the font size and upload an updated manuscript.

As for 9 point, Why? Are you limited in space? If it's meant to be read, make it readable. If not, why have it in there?

Phil Istine

WF Veterans
Personally, I wouldn't take the risk that the other person's eyesight is sub par, even with lenses. I might not have considered this before my early 40s. I normally use 14 pt in Word. I can read it smaller but it can soon become hard work, especially if reading while tired. One reason I often read with a Kindle is due to the flexibility on point size.

Whatever choice you make, maybe bear in mind that you don't know your reader or which method they will use to read (unless you only supply electronic format(s)).

Jack of all trades

I am finalizing my first book for submission to CreateSpace.
I have all my chapters done and ready, the question I have is the following.

The story is written in the following font.
Lucidia Sans-Serif 11pt

The about Author and other front pages are done in
Lucidia Sans-Serif 9pt.

Are the front pages OK? Or should I have all pages the same, as the story, of 11pt?

Thanks All
Wayne

CreateSpace is print, right?

Selling books can be difficult, so I would not want to risk returns by having the purchaser thinking the entire book is in 9 pt. I know all that's needed is to flip a few pages, but some won't. That's just the way people are.

Author info generally belongs in an author bio at the end, if this is fiction.

Why the odd font sizes? And why not Times New Roman? Most readers, I think, want familiar fonts and font sizes. The choice is yours, however.

Ralph Rotten

Staff member
Media Manager
The story should be in Times New Roman 11pitch, mebbe 12 pitch.
Avoid other fonts for the story or your book will likely scream vanity press.

Don't go getting the idea that you will be done with this print edition in one pass. You will likely go through 3-4 proof copies before you get it right. And even then you will likely go back and make interior edits as more mistakes are discovered. I get a lot of this out of the way by ordering proof copies as I go. Although I proof my book in the digital format, there is just no substitute for a print copy to really give you that feel of how it's gonna read when completed. Besides, Createspace prints way cheaper than Kinkos. Way!

Status
Not open for further replies.