Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Fluke (1 Viewer)

Rayner

Fluke or, I know Why the Wing Whale Sings by Christopher Moore

I like funny books, just look at my avatar. Really, I can’t read too many serious things in a row, or I’ll go insane. So I should love Fluke right?

Right…

So one day while at the book store, after wading through the DVDs, board games, video games, a wall made completely of copies of The Da Vinci Code and other none literature related objects I came to the hidden cave where they keep the books. I came across this book and read all these great reviews it had got. I mean, it was part of Today’s Book Club, that’s right Today! Wow! This must be one funny book! The book reviews wouldn’t lie would they? Would they?

Well…

So what did I think of Fluke…lets just say I can count the times I laughed/giggled/snorted/was somewhat amused on my hand.

Synopsis:
Nathan Quinn is a whale researcher, specifically humpback whales and their mysterious song. Nate’s whole life is ruled by the question of “Why do they sing?”. Than one day a whale lifts its tail into the air to display a cryptic message written in four foot high letters on its flukes: Bite Me. Thing is, no one saw it, and then the crucial picture of the mysterious tail shot returns missing and Nate’s lab is trashed for no apparent reason.
Something very strange is going on…

Sounds like a great premise doesn’t it? So why didn’t Fluke work for me? Well let’s start with the most obvious thing, the humor itself. Christopher Moore’s frat boy like humor relies on quite a bit of unnecessary swearing, genital jokes, and other unpleasant things…:pukel:

In fact one the running jokes is the whale’s prehensile penises. Did I mention I really don’t like this guy’s type of humor yet? There were some times I was able to get a laugh, but they were too little WAY to late.

The characters themselves are not exactly people you care for. Nathan Quinn in particular is pretty flat as a main character, and so is his partner in business Demodocus. The most entertaining character turns out to be Kona, a kid from New Jersey pretending to be Hawaiian and sporting a fake accent, he has some pretty good parts, but not anyone you care for. I should mention Amy Earheart, who seemed really promising, has a very interesting back story, but kind of becomes annoying around the climax. The character that bothered me the most was main villain, who we only get one sentence, from the middle of the book, to give us any idea who the hell this person is. Basically most of the characters are pretty 2-D

“One of the finest pieces of imagination since Anatole France’s Penguin Island, or George Orwell’s Animal Farm.”
The Denver Post

Do you hear that? That’s George Orwell doing 360 spins in his grave in his grave.

There is an interesting idea later in the book that literally seems to come from nowhere. But then comes that frat boy humor again…and then I start rolling my eyes again.

Just my opinion, be interested to know if any one else has read any thing any thing By Mr. Moore. Are any of his books better then this and this is just a fluke(I’ll be getting ten years in purgatory just for making that joke…)? If so, I’d like to hear comments on his other books.
Hopw this didn't tick anyone off.

So yeah, I did not like this fluking book.

I just made two puns with the word fluke, and I'm the one complaining about humor!!! ](*,)

Last edited:

Suile

Haha, I haven't read Fluke, because quite frankly I don't like whales.

I can, however, recommend a book by Christopher Moore that may be thousands of times better.

Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal

Yes, most of his books have that crude humor. Lamb surpasses all the other books I've read by him by 100 percent, and I would have suggested you start with this one had I know you'd come across his name.

Technically I have suggested it in the recommendations section on this site along with one other book, but I think my topic title might have scared many people away.

Basically it's a tale of Jesus' life and all of the missing years as told by his best friend Biff.

It does have some of his trademark crude humor, but in comparison to his others by him I've read, it's far less common. I've lent it out to three different people, and they all loved it to pieces.

Example: my friend read Lamb, said she laughed so hard all the time, she was expecting it to be good, but not that good. Then she reads another by him, I believe it was called Island of the Sequined Love Nun, and she almost put the book down several times because of the crudeness. So if she loved Lamb to pieces but wasn't too thrilled with Love Nun for that same humor you mentioned, Lamb must be a big improvement, right?

Yes, it's based on a religious figure, and no, it's not insulting to any faiths, in case you happen to be Jewish or Christian...or Buddist or Hindu, for that matter.

It's just a much more ambitious book with more thought behind it, and is levels above his usual work.

Please, give this book a go before you completely throw him out. I really do recommend it. All the time. To everyone I know. Repeatedly.

If you don't like it, well everyone has different tastes, but seriously, it is way above the rest of what he's got.

Edit: Why is the vomiting smiley so freaking happy? He's vomiting!

And yes, purgatory indeed for the bad joke. But really, it asks for it.

Rayner

Thanks for the recommundation, I alawys try to give authers that I wasn't praticullary wowed by a secnd chance, so Christopher Moore won't be an exception. I think I saw Lamb, but for some reason did not get it. Sounds like a good idea, so I hope it will be a fun read. One question, have you read his Practical Demonkeeping, because I had narrowed it down to that or Fluke.
Thanks for the recommandation!

Suile

Yes, I have read it, was the second book I read by him, and was the first book he wrote. The title won me over on that one, but it's hard for me to remember the details of it since it just didn't leave nearly an impression as Lamb, and the ones I've read more recently are fresher in my mind. I remember it being more vulgar than Lamb, and has the first appearance of a character we meet in Lamb. (Moore loves his characters and uses them often...most of his books take place in one town, so it's actually possible. Some are stretches, though.)

Oh yeah. Rude demon eats people while man tries to find lost love. Basically. With detectives and stuff. And crazy confused pagan women and a nasty female bar owner who I've grown to love after seeing her in three separate books. Again, not a Lamb, but I can't really compare it to fluke except that I'd rather read about a demon than a whale.

If you didn't like that particular type of frat boy humor, don't read Island of the Sequined Love Nun or Lust Lizard of Melancholy Cove. Yes, Lust Lizard has one of the best paragraphs spoken from a schizophrenic woman ever, but no. It was nasty.

Blood Sucking Fiends might be good, though, since that one does technically count as a love story, but not in the mushy female kind of way. I don't remember being too put off by that one, but even enjoying it.

The Stupidest Angel was also enjoyable, but if you so choose to continue on a Christopher Moore path, (which may not be the best path for you) don't read it until reading a few other things by him first. At the very least, Lamb, since it was throwing all his favorite characters together for a christmas romp with zombies.

I must read him for the occassional non crude laugh and the hopes for another Lamb, I think. Plus they're quick.

I really just have a major soft spot for Christopher Moore, even with the unpleasantness in most of his books, because I love Lamb so much.

Please, don't mind my rambling off on him. I just really love that book and I probably recommend it the most often. Yes, I apologize again if you hate it, but I really haven't heard a bad word spoken of it.