Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

First experiences of reading (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edward Picot

reading01.png

In a recent autobiographical essay, “Sidestepping the Known”, published in the Cordite Poetry Review, the Australian experimental writer and new media artist Mez Breeze recollects a formative experience from her early years:

‘When I was in my late primary school years, I was shunted into an accelerated reading program… As part of this program it was decided that I should be given special privileges in order to join the primary public library… I grabbed the first three books located there [that I could reach], all by an author I hadn’t ever heard of: Brian Aldiss. The section I had stumbled into was Science Fiction. This simple act of selecting those books [written in a genre that would soon become an enduring favourite] shifted something. My life trajectory tilted…’

What are your first/most formative memories of reading and encountering books? Was it in a library, a bookshop, or exploring the bookshelves at home? You can send me entries by email ([email protected]) or post them as comments to a special page I've set up on my blog: http://edwardpicot.com/blog/first-experiences-of-reading/.

- Edward Picot
http://edwardpicot.com - personal website

Mr mitchell

WF Veterans
As a kid I wasn't so keen on reading, but I don't know what caused me to have that. To me, at the young age it felt like a chore, like being forced to do it when deep down, you wanted to do something else. But later in my school life before moving to college, I picked up "The Godfather", which is still a old book. So I suppose I grow up reading crime thrillers and that is what I write among other things. I mostly read in that genre, which is dark and bleak but always something human somewhere inside with the characters.

W.Goepner

WF Veterans
Myself as a young child I did not like to read. I so enjoyed it when someone else read to me. I could get into the story without stumbling over the words. In my days of grade school or grammar school, we were taught to sound out words phonetically, I still have the problem with spelling because of that. So yes reading was a chore.

The teachers by my seventh year saw that I was some what board with school and when tested, I was above average on most everything, except reading. In my state history class I was given these readers digest readers, they had three to four stories and questions at the back of each I needed to answer. There I became a reader but not as proficient as I am now. That proficiency came in my tenth or eleventh grade, when I took a Science fiction/Fantasy class rather than English. There I discovered the Hobbit and many of the other fictional works, to stir my imagination. That still was not my pinnacle for my obsession of reading, therefore writing.

I was in my late twenties and had a great deal of time on my hands and a little money to go to collage. It was there I was lead into the books and RPGs, I almost did not have time for my studies. I managed to scrape out a 3.75 GP average anyway.

KJay

As a child I loved horses (still do) and the first book I remember reading over and over again was The Black Stallion by Walter Farley. Nothing profound, but I simply loved that book. In my teens I started reading really quite a lot and I have memories of reading till two or three in the morning and having to get up the next morning to go to school. I mainly read fantasy and historical fiction then, I think.
Now, I still have that copy of The Black Stallion and read it every few years. I still like it!

Riptide

WF Veterans
Yeah, I never truly read much of anything those elementary days. FOr projects I'd read two chapters and maybe skim the photos if they had any. Somehow I managed to make it into the high end reading group, like literally surpassing all the other students with my reading skill. Don't know how that happened seeing as I was supposedly dyslexic way back when.

I think the first book I remember reading was something called Road Trip then Saint Paws, which I always called Santa Paws. Well... I think that was the title. Middle school I really read in a frenxy

aj47

(he/him)
WF Veterans
I stole a book from a library when i was in third grade. It was my first week at a new school. We went to the library--it was my first experience being told to pick any book I wanted. I found one--an 8th-grade level math book about why bubbles are round and similar things. I was told I could not borrow it. Okay, when no one was looking, I added it to my belongings and took it home.

It taught me that it isn't always anyone's business what I'm reading.

Terry D

Retired Supervisor
One of the first books I remember reading was in the first grade (1959), Brighty of the Grand Canyon, man I loved that book. Library day was my favorite day of the school week. By age 9 I had read Dracula, and shortly after that, The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, a lot of Poe, and tried to read The Hunchback of Notre Dame (that one was too over-written for me). Once a week my folks played cards with some friends who had a set of the World Book Encyclopedia. When there wasn't anything on TV--and with just three channels, that was quite often--I used to lay on the floor with a randomly chosen WB and just go through it page by page reading the entries that caught my eye. That was a great primer for Trivial Pursuit. Later I graduated to lots of pulp fiction (the Doc Savage series was a particular favorite) and history books about WWI and WWII, but I still kept reading Poe, and Bradbury, and Wells.

Lyra Laurant

From 1st grade to 2nd grade, my classs had lots of books at the back wall. I used to finish my lessons really fast, and I was free to pick a book and read it while waiting for the rest of my classmates. A friend of mine used to read a lot too, and we would share book recomendations and also write and illustrate our own first stories during that free minutes after finishing the lesson. I wonder if she still writes now? ^_^

Status
Not open for further replies.