Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Firemajic's Quotes{ for writers, poets and dreamers ;) } (1 Viewer)

Firemajic

Poetry Mentor
Staff member
Senior Mentor
Dedicated to everyone who wonders if I am writing about them.
I am. {Author unknown}

Write hard and clear
about what hurts. { Ernest Hemmingway}

It is a delicious thing to write, to be
no longer yourself but to move in
an entire universe of your own creation. {Gustave Flaubert}

Feel free to share your own favorite quotes about writing, poetry and dreamers ;)
I would love to read them...

Terry D

Retired Supervisor
"The difference between the right word and the almost right word, is the difference between lightning and a lightning bug." Mark Twain.

When asked, at a speaking engagement, what sort of man he could be to write such horrible stories, Robert Block [the author of Psycho] replied, "Actually, mam, I have the heart of a young boy; which I keep in a jar on my desk."

Firemajic

Poetry Mentor
Staff member
Senior Mentor
"The difference between the right word and the almost right word, is the difference between lightning and a lightning bug." Mark Twain.

When asked, at a speaking engagement, what sort of man he could be to write such horrible stories, Robert Block [the author of Psycho] replied, "Actually, mam, I have the heart of a young boy; which I keep in a jar on my desk."

:coffeescreen:....seriously! both too funny... scary thought, Terry... the second quote... could be true....I mean... right? lol....

Firemajic

Poetry Mentor
Staff member
Senior Mentor
"A poem begins as a lump in the throat, a sense of wrong, a homesickness, a lovesickness."
Robert Frost

"For poems are not words, after all, but fires for the cold, ropes let down to the lost, something as necessary as bread in the pockets of the hungry."
Mary Oliver

Pamelyn Casto

WF Veterans
Here's a quotation I like to keep close by.

"Every day we slaughter our finest impulses. That is why we get a heartache
when we read those lines written by the hand of a master and recognize them
as our own, as the tender shoots which we stifled because we lacked the
faith to believe in our own powers, our own criterion of truth and beauty.
Every man, when he gets quiet, when he becomes desperately honest with
himself, is capable of uttering profound truths. We all derive from the same
source. There is no mystery about the origin of things. We are all part of
creation, all kings, all poets, all musicians; we have only to open up, only
to discover what is already there."
( Henry Miller)

Pamelyn Casto

WF Veterans
I imagine Henry Miller's quotation pertains to women too. (So often we get left out.:-D) So we'll add to the quote I posted, "and every woman, too." Maybe add some "she" words to the "he" words, but I've never been nor never will be a king . . . I image old Henry meant to have women included too but it might not have been quite as polished a quotation. :-D (I feel like being part of things today. So count me in!:-D)

Pamelyn Casto

WF Veterans
Yes, firemagik, courage takes . . . courage . . . and it's often in such short supply. I know I lack it frequently enough. It's good that Henry Miller reminds us in such an eloquent way (even tho' his omission stands out.:-D)

Firemajic

Poetry Mentor
Staff member
Senior Mentor
Yes, firemagik, courage takes . . . courage . . . and it's often in such short supply. I know I lack it frequently enough. It's good that Henry Miller reminds us in such an eloquent way (even tho' his omission stands out.:-D)

I think Poets are the brave ones... the things{/emotions/fear/secrets} we may be ashamed of, we trot out in the bright light, and let strangers see our warts, scars and at times, our insanity, I expose things in my poetry that I have never shared with my family... ;)

Firemajic

Poetry Mentor
Staff member
Senior Mentor
"Poetry is when an emotion has found its thought and the thought has found words."
Robert Frost

Firemajic

Poetry Mentor
Staff member
Senior Mentor
"They who dream by day
are cognizant
of many things
which escape those
who dream
only by night."... Edgar Allen Poe

Sit back, relax, and allow yourself to daydream.... feed your muse ;)

Users who are viewing this thread