Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Finished screenplay, what next? (1 Viewer)

mammamaia

no legit prodco will accept unsolicited scripts... they won't even open the envelopes... you have to query first or get an agent...

RKWO

Trust, Mamm will tell you better than anyone what to expect, and that's the worst, always. But it's the best advice you can get.

RKWO

mammamaia said:
sad, but true, rk...

ampersand... if you want to know if your work is ready to be seen, you can send me the logline, synopsis, and first 9 pages...

love and hugs, maia
[email protected]

When you reading my script anyways? Just kidding, if you have the chance, check mine out. I recommend somehting in the middle or end, everyone is looking at my beginning and it's hard to build on. Thanks. Really could get help with the logline.

Aztecsfinest

It helps if you got a few connections. Such as I have connections with the producer of Pearl Harbour (Is that a good thing?)

I'm not braagging, that is an examle, check around your family as I did and find if they no anyone who knows aguy who knows a guy who works wth T.V

Getting an agent sounds like a good idea, but I hear that they are expensive.
I heard that a newspaper called Variety helps with things like that, but I woldn't know.

mammamaia

Originally Posted by mammamaia
sad, but true, rk...

ampersand... if you want to know if your work is ready to be seen, you can send me the logline, synopsis, and first 9 pages...

love and hugs, maia
[email protected]

When you reading my script anyways? Just kidding, if you have the chance, check mine out. I recommend somehting in the middle or end, everyone is looking at my beginning and it's hard to build on. Thanks. Really could get help with the logline.
not sure what you mean there... reading yours anyway?... did you send it to me?... if so, why ask me to check it out?... and where would i do that?...
also don't get the ' I recommend somehting in the middle or end, ' part... like i said, if you want help with logline or anything, just send it to me, ok?...
hugs to all, m

mammamaia

It helps if you got a few connections. Such as I have connections with the producer of Pearl Harbour

which PH?... if the 2001 feature version, there are 13 producers listed, including 'producers'; 'executive producers'; 'associate producers'; and 'line producers'... and there are undoubtedly several more of lowlier status who didn't make it onto the imdb listing's list...

(Is that a good thing?)

depends on what level producer the person is and how close your connection is to him/her... could be a good thing if highly placed and you're buddies... could be a nothing thing, if he/she's only a step or two above the guy who drives the catering truck on location... or if your connection is too thin to do any good...

I'm not braagging, that is an examle, check around your family as I did and find if they no anyone who knows aguy who knows a guy who works wth T.V

why tv?... isn't the poster asking about selling a screenplay?...

Getting an agent sounds like a good idea, but I hear that they are expensive.
I heard that a newspaper called Variety helps with things like that, but I woldn't know.

agents don't get a penny up front and don't get paid, till they sell your work, so how's that = 'expensive'?...

variety won't 'help' you get an agent... you'll find listings on wga and aar's websites and in 'the hollywood creative directory'... the latter is too costly to buy, but you can find it in some libraries... more affordable, not quite as good, is writer's digest's annual edition of 'guide to literary agents'...

Aztecsfinest

I'd prefeer not to say. I hated Pearl Harbour.
Everything ends up on T.V eventually. And I wuldn't know, I don't have an agent!

Maybe I should just keep my comments to myself from now on.
Sorry Maia and Ampersand.

mammamaia

no prob... you meant well... just hold up on the advice, when you don't really know the subject... we love ya, anyway!... hugs, m

mammamaia

well, first of all, screenplays are 'produced' not 'published' ;-)... and yes, it does help to get an agent... so you do know something, anyway!

hugs, m

mammamaia

'connections'?... such as?

and what good will even the best connections do for a first script by a newbie who seems to know nothing about the film industry?...

if you have good connections to folks in the biz, you should know that the best advice to give this writer is to put that first screenplay aside and write 6 or 7 more, till s/he gets good enough at it to turn out one that's marketable, since it's most likely no agents or producers will even look at that first one, much less take it seriously... to pass on the kind of scripts i see every day from new writers, won't endear you to those connections, y'know!... if you value them, as i do mine, you'll be very careful who you share them with, since their time is money...

i mentor lots of aspiring screenwriters, so would be very interested in knowing what/who your 'connections' are... if you're loathe to post the info here, please drop me an email, as i don't have pms enabled here... thanks...

love and hugs, maia
[email protected]

Glen1

I'm still involved with learning about the different parts of the screenplay. Every time I sit down to write something on it I get turned off and have to scrap it. I've done that with two plays. Has this happened to any of you? I'd appreciate hearing from anybody that has this problem.

Kimba

That depends on how determined you are to succeed in writing the actual screenplay. Mine was originally written in novel form but I scrapped that because I had trouble finding the time to write in that form. So far, I've kept just about everything I've written with this screenplay, apart from certain scenes in which I thought either distracted the audience from the main plot or just didn't sit well within the plot itself.

I tend to find writing a brief treatment before writing the screenplay itself helps because then I have a fair idea what is in each scene. The main challenge then is writing the scene itself. :)

mammamaia

learning the basics of the craft is not all that hard, if you start out by studying it, with the aid of a good how-to and plenty of good screenplays as models...

the hard part is learning to do it well... harder still, is having the ability to do it well enough to write scripts that will be taken seriously by agents and producers...

if any of you want help along the way, i've been mentoring aspiring screenwriters for several years now and will be glad to add you to the thousands i've enjoyed working with so far...

hugs, maia

FLickTick

Read - Read - Read

Ampersand,

Do you know all about structure, story-lines, turning points and other issues of screenwriting?
Get a peer group going and let them read your script to sort out fluff.
You should also, if you have not already done so, read as many produced scripts as you can lay your hands on.

Here is a good place to start and build your knowledge on a daily basis:

http://www.scriptsecrets.net/index.html

Hit on 'Tip of the day'.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread