Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Finally discovered Stephen King! (1 Viewer)

Aleks

Finally, after years of book-reading I have finally discovered Stephen King. Now I know what your thinking, "How have you gone all this time without reading even one of his books!?" Well, truth is times were different back then, I was young and Tom Clancy was hip, Stephen King just didn't appeal.

But Oh-Good-Gawd! Dreamcatcher is a masterpiece! The characters are so deep, it feels like you know everything about them. The writing just flows, literally flows right into your head.
So if anyone could point me in the direction of other great King books I'd be much obliged....Guv'na.

K-P

Better watch out; the uber intellectuals are gonna jump all over you for digging a contemporary, genre author.

M

ms. vodka

I'll step up in defense of Stephen King.

I started reading that guy when I was like, 9. I had stolen my mother's copy of "Flowers in the Attic" because I was tired of all the books in my elementary school library and she caught me with it and said, nuh uh. But she did hand me a copy of The Talisman and she told me if I could read that book and understand it (which she tested me on later), I could read whatever I wanted.

It blew my 9 year old mind. Read it.

Also read The Shining and The Green Mile.

I don't care what anyone says. That guy can write his ass off. The stories are excellent. Anyone who is so quick to write him off hasn't given him a chance, in my opinion. I have to admit, I haven't read anything recent... but what I have read of him I would highly recommend.

vodka

For Christ's sake read The Dark Tower series. It's a masterpiece of epic proportions and the story winds through almost all of his other stories.

Salem's Lot is good. Hearts in Atlantis is good. Insomnia carries a sortof warding phobia. It's supposed to be really good, but I haven't read it.

M

ms. vodka

mmm.. Salem's Lot is really good.

and Insomnia was really good, also.

Hodge

pliable
Blech. Insomnia was far too long--his Richard Bachman novels are excellent, though, and The Tommyknockers and The Stand are also excellent. His short story collections are also really great.

M

ms. vodka

insomnia was not too long...

the tommyknockers... oh- i had forgotten about that one. ooh, that scared the shit out of me.

and yes, the stand was also very good.

this thread is becoming nostalgic for me.

oh, and speaking of the short stories... remember 'the lawnmower man?'

that was tripalicious.

rbradley_80

I loved his book Misery. The main character becomes addicted to pain killers in it and by the time I finished the book it felt like I was just as much addicted. He definitely has a way with words.

FinnMacCool

I think I might be the only person who doesn't like his writing. I find it to be cheesy and dumb, in a lot of places. I find his plots to be fairly predictable as well.

blademasterzzz

Misery, the Shining and the Stand are just classics, you gotta read them. Read the dark tower series: I found the first book a bit weak, but then it improves a lot. The latter books are great.

.. And here we go with the King bashing again. Despite my thread, I still don't get why people despise the very sound of his name. Say anything you will, at the very least he puts a hell of a lot of effort into his writing.

FinnMacCool

And here we go with the King bashing again. Despite my thread, I still don't get why people despise the very sound of his name. Say anything you will, at the very least he puts a hell of a lot of effort into his writing.

I was just expressing an opinion. I've read his works and I just wasn't very impressed.

FinnMacCool said:
I think I might be the only person who doesn't like his writing. I find it to be cheesy and dumb, in a lot of places. I find his plots to be fairly predictable as well.

You'll get over that when you actually read one of his novels through. His plots are usually so out of the blue and captivating in comparison to mainstream literature. They don't call him a modern day Poe for nothing. Also check out Desperation. It's reallly good after the first few pages.

The Hooded One

Misery, the Shining and the Stand are just classics, you gotta read them. Read the dark tower series: I found the first book a bit weak, but then it improves a lot. The latter books are great.

You took the words right out of my mouth. Those are a few of the most compelling and interesting books I have ever read. Not everyone liked them however, King said himself that "The Shining" was not one of his favorites.

However, the public loved it and thats why he added another hundred or so pages to it. It just depends what your into, everyone is different.

Sincerely - J.C

Crazy_dude6662

i liked everything of his i read exluding cujo and dream catcher (they both dragged imho) but i loved everything else..

my faviourite would probably be Misery or Salems Lot

Scarecrow

The greatest piece of work King has ever written is The Mist, a novella of around 100 pages included in his short story collection Skeleton Crew. In fact, I'd say it was one of the best things I've ever read by anyone. It's about an unnatural mist that descends on a small town (guess what state...), trapping a bunch of people inside a supermarket because of the strange creatures prowling around outside. The way King buiulds up the tension and "Cabin fever" environment inside the supermarket is brilliant. Supposedly, it inspired Half-Life.

Also check out Firestarter, The Stand and maybe Cujo. Anything post 1990 though... don't bother.

J. Bryan Shoup

ms. vodka said:
It blew my 9 year old mind. Read it.

That doesn't really help your argument too much.

I don't care what anyone says. That guy can write his ass off. The stories are excellent. Anyone who is so quick to write him off hasn't given him a chance, in my opinion. I have to admit, I haven't read anything recent... but what I have read of him I would highly recommend.

I would have to agree. I've only read Tommyknockers and It, but they were both well-done. Flaws here and there (like the underage multiple partners sex scene in It - I still don't get why King included that), but his characterization and application of horror conventions to modern America were superb. At times he added too many characters, too many twists, but they were enjoyable reads overall.