Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Fellow Writers: Amazon Deleted 81 Reviews for my Book - No Warning. (1 Viewer)

nova

I began as a self published writer. My first book, "American Apocalypse I" was self published. It was bought by Ulysses Press, they used a new editor, redid the cover, and released it again as "American Apocalypse: The Collapse Begins." As of yesterday there were 107 reviews and a four star rating. By the end of yesterday there were 26 reviews and most of the good ones were gone. That dropped my to a *** rating.

I called Author Central and they said I had to email "Community Services." Today I got the following email:

Hello,

I can understand your concerns over the missing customer reviews. I'm sorry for the frustration over this matter. Customer reviews are only removed from the Amazon.com website for two reasons:

1. The review was not within our posted guidelines, or
2. The review was removed by the customer or by our Communities team at the request of the customer who submitted the review. Customer Reviews are also shared between different editions and variants of products when the detail pages have the same item. Sometimes, an incorrect linking will be corrected after reviews were submitted. In that situation, reviews will be automatically moved to the correct product. This may cause a change in the reviews shown on the individual products.

Due to our strict customer confidentiality and account security policy, we aren't able to discuss details of why specific reviews were removed with anyone but the person who wrote the review.

Please also note that only reviews that specifically violate our posted guidelines are removed by Amazon. Here’s a link to our guidelines if you’d like it for reference:

Amazon.com: Customer Reviews Submission Guidelines

I hope this information helps. We look forward to seeing you.

Amazon, as we all know, is the 800 lb gorilla for selling books. I find this to be disturbing to say the least. I am not Steven King, I can't even get an agent, I have no leverage with them.

Beware

Steve/nova

Edit: e-mail link removed by admin.

garza

Steve - With a self-published book subsequently picked up by a publisher, you should be able to get an agent. If you've not done so, start circulating some query letters to agencies which handle your sort of book. Sam W can give you the best advice on this, probably.

Amazon has grown large enough to have a self-perpetuating bureaucracy generating volumes of rules and regulations. If somehow you can get through to a real person, either by phone or by email, you may have some luck restoring your reviews, or at least a portion of them. The email you received sounds like it was assembled from three or four pieces of boiler plate. I've written enough of the stuff to recognise it.

nova

garza,

I have had two novels published in a year. Both are selling decently on Amazon. I have contacted agents telling them this but they don't seem to be interested. Hell, I am in my publishers top 20 for sales in paperback and top 10 for Kindle. Then again all the books above me are about diets, working out, are preparing for doomsday.

Edit: The point isn't making my career as a writer take off. I like writing. I have done it all my life. It's a tough business to make a living at. Amazon isn't helping

Last edited:

garza

nova - The lack of interest by agents puzzles me. Be certain the agencies you contact normally handle the kind of book your write. Don't give up. Keep trying. Even though you are doing quite well without an agent, you'll do much better with traditional publishers with one, and there are always the spin-offs like movie rights, foreign markets, and such, for which you really need an agent.

Good luck.

nova

garza,

Thank you for the kind words of encouragement..

Amazon sent me an e-mail this morning and told me they were working on it so all may be well after all.

Offeiriad

Based on the letter you shared with us and the fact that the same book has two different titles, I'm assuming it isn't that some reviews got moved from one title to another?

nova

They restored to 96 the number of reviews instead of the 107 that were there. I still have no idea what happened or why. That occurred to me but the return of the reviews doesn't match that theory.

Offeiriad

But you don't know how reviews are stored. For all you know, they could have some convoluted method of storing things where not everything that is related is kept together in one place.