Writingforums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Feeling Lost? Check Out 8 Useful Links to Navigate WF (3 Viewers)

Phil Istine

Staff member
Global Moderator
The new look seems reasonably swish. There are a couple of tricky bits though. The text at the top (Home, Forums, Writing Challenges... etc) can be hard to read unless selected or hovered over. Also, it pandered to one of my pet hates - a trend that has greatly irritated me when using some other sites - that scrollbar at the right hand edge is barely visible as it is dark grey on black. However, on my laptop it is easily visible as the black doesn't leach into the scrollbar area. I suspect this may be about browser choices. (a) very hard to see it on old monitor using new browser on a desktop PC (b) easy to see on laptop with ancient browser.

I absolutely detest it when a site exceeds its limits like this. The page is the coders but the browser is mine. Know your boundaries! It's really hard for me to stress enough how much it pisses me off when this general principle is broken. I even sent an email to bbc.co.uk about their site doing this very same thing. It may even cause problems for the poorly sighted in an age where we are supposed to be more inclusive. I can find no way in the browser's (Firefox's) settings to prevent this. Okay, it's hardly in the same league as Hitler invading Poland, but this does feel territorial.
Otherwise it looks fine.
Okay, I've been checking around to see if there is a resolution. It appears so but it looks fiddly to implement. When I have time I'll look into this further. I've read through some search pages linked from
and there seem to be a few suggestions regarding changing the scrollbar's colour. I include a link above in case anyone else is having as problem with the lack of colour contrast between page and scrollbar.

Reactions: PiP

Firemajic

Poetry Mentor
Staff member
Senior Mentor
I am a doofus when it comes to tech stuff, if I do anything right, it is by accident ;) however, this looks to be a HUGE undertaking, seriously... well done to staff and to WF's super star, Techadm!!

Theglasshouse

WF Veterans
I like the design since it spaces the text and the font seems to be easy to see and read for me. I don't know if that helps individuals with dyslexia. The font is also bigger on my kindle tablet it seems to me. About the layout of where things are located it seems to be placed on the front page if I am not mistaken. The staff deserves some praise for all their hard work.

TheMightyAz

I've put it on larger text and that's made it a little more readable.

I have four suggestions though:

1: Yeah, snazzy is great but it's distracting on the eye. I straight forward colour is less taxing so I'd like to see an option to get rid of the colour gradient in the separators and at the side of the screen. Just make it plain green or plain brown, both darkish. <- Yep, that sentence came from someone wanting to be a writer, but I'd sooner type all this inconsequential stuff instead of editing it.

2: Put the handy little buttons back in that allowed you to go to the last post you read or the very last post of the thread.

3: Give us back the options for the table so we can present our work as they would be seen in a book or e-book.

4: Put the likes/thanks/lol etc back below our names. It's a good incentive to be friendly and a good indication of people who may not be as grateful as they should be. Look, this is life. We need these things.

edit: And as a bonus suggestion, change 'Senior Member' to 'Long Standing Member'. It's a bloody cheek!

Last edited:

Steve_Rivers

I only joined up a couple of weeks ago and so I don't think I was as used to the old one as everyone else. All I know is what I see - swish!
I like the fact the top of the page now feels more like bookmarks. I love the fact the avatars and names look a bit more professional looking.
The profile page feels a lot more user-friendly and easier to understand.

All in all, top job! Whoever put the work in behind the scenes to make it all look so nice deserves big slaps on the back and a beer! Thank you very much for all the effort!

TheMightyAz

I don't seem to be able to edit older posts. Is that because I can only edit posts written on the new site? I wanted to change 'currier' to 'courier' but couldn't. I do hope that ability hasn't been removed.

edit: I can edit here but not in the workshop area.

Last edited:

PiP

Staff member
Co-Owner
I don't seem to be able to edit older posts. Is that because I can only edit posts written on the new site? I wanted to change 'currier' to 'courier' but couldn't. I do hope that ability hasn't been removed.

thanks, MA I'll take a look.

Matchu

Seeing eight trophies - each one had a message attached - along the lines of ‘somebody likes you’ or ‘coming back for more’ or ‘seriously amazing’ or ‘writer balls’ I was set to re-start life in the British Virgin Antarctic Territorities with my new reader - but my reader was a bott-reader I discovered by lunchtime, the WF first post bott/10 posts/1st ‘like’ bott [with her trophies]. I was alone as always have been alone plus my inflatables/remain crushed this one day later. Hope I communicated right..see you

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: PiP

vranger

Staff member
Board Moderator
I double-checked Az and got the same result. Oddly, I have an edit link for older posts (as a Moderator) for other member's posts, but not for my own. I have an edit link on my posts from yesterday.

Foxee

Patron
Patron
For those who are seeing where the new forum could be adjusted, it will be. Might take some time but the old site was the product of improvement over a long span by each group as they were involved with it. The new site look will be adjusted, dialed in, changed over time. For now, it's pretty good for being fresh out of the box.

Mark Twain't

For those who are seeing where the new forum could be adjusted, it will be. Might take some time but the old site was the product of improvement over a long span by each group as they were involved with it. The new site look will be adjusted, dialed in, changed over time. For now, it's pretty good for being fresh out of the box.
Indeed. It's very difficult to tell what needs to be tweaked and adjusted until you've put the off the shelf version through its paces.

Last edited:

Selorian

Patron

I just discovered I'm unable to edit older posts as well. I wanted to bold a reply I made yesterday in my Opening Line Prompts thread and was unable to do so. I made a reply today and the edit option appears, so maybe it is a setting for x amount of time after a post is made?

Overall though, really like the new software and the design. Nice and fresh with hints of the WF of the past. Great job!

Users who are viewing this thread