Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Feeling Lost? Check Out 8 Useful Links to Navigate WF (2 Viewers)

PiP

Staff member
Co-Owner
Welcome to the 'new look' WF. Here are a few links to help you navigate the forum.

WF_Logo__400px.png

Forums- A list of all the forums

Latest Activity - What's New!- Latest activity across all the forums
WF Blog - Check out the latest member blogs or create your own free blog

FAQ's and Member Guide A comprehensive guide - What's What?, What's Where? and How To. Can't find what you are looking for after you've scrolled to the end? Contact an administrator.

WF Rules - Help us to maintain a friendly community atmosphere

Donation Options

Usergroup Titles and Colors -
Who's Who?

Contact Us -Still feeling lost? Don't worry, contact an administrator via email

Last edited:

Irwin

The new site looks good! That's to everyone involved in the transition!

Just one thing, though... I would recommend getting rid of those annoying animated gifs and only allowing basic emoticons.

vranger

Staff member
Supervisor
Wonderful to see the site back up, and a day ahead of schedule. I mentioned on the FB page that the site I left to come here went down in January, decided to do this sort of upgrade, last announced in late March they'd be back up in a couple of weeks, and are still down. OUR TECH GUY IS RED HOT! THEIR TECH GUY AIN'T DIDDLEY SQUAT!

Congratulations to all involved in this upgrade, reconfigure, and migration. Really well done!

Last edited:

PiP

Staff member
Co-Owner
Wonderful to see the site back up, and a day ahead of schedule.
that's because Techadmn (techguru) never slept for 48 hours. It was a long labor... but WF was eventually reborn. He was truly amazing. It was a complex job well executed
Congratulations to all involved in this upgrade, reconfigure, and migration. Really well done!
A lot of planning and stress, But our techguru's watchful eye and endless patience... kept us all focused.

TheMightyAz

Mentor
Is there any way of narrowing the text, instead of it being spread right across the page? It's a long long long long long long long long line to scan. And where is the formatting tools to allow me to post my work as it would be seen in a novel or in an e-book?

like this but centrally? With a narrower box?​

Last edited:

Irwin

One thing the site could use is a text formatter... one that automatically puts whitespace between paragraphs and maybe indents the first line of the paragraph. Such functionality would probably require a plugin, which may or may not be available.

JBF

Staff member
Board Moderator
Unsure how I feel about this. Given, it's probably worlds ahead of the old software, but I liked the straightforward businesslike quality of the old board. Fewer distractions and not so much flashy stuff.

Then again, I hate anything that smells remotely like progress or the future, so...grain of salt.

Phil Istine

WF Veterans
The new look seems reasonably swish. There are a couple of tricky bits though. The text at the top (Home, Forums, Writing Challenges... etc) can be hard to read unless selected or hovered over. Also, it pandered to one of my pet hates - a trend that has greatly irritated me when using some other sites - that scrollbar at the right hand edge is barely visible as it is dark grey on black. However, on my laptop it is easily visible as the black doesn't leach into the scrollbar area. I suspect this may be about browser choices. (a) very hard to see it on old monitor using new browser on a desktop PC (b) easy to see on laptop with ancient browser.

I absolutely detest it when a site exceeds its limits like this. The page is the coders but the browser is mine. Know your boundaries! It's really hard for me to stress enough how much it pisses me off when this general principle is broken. I even sent an email to bbc.co.uk about their site doing this very same thing. It may even cause problems for the poorly sighted in an age where we are supposed to be more inclusive. I can find no way in the browser's (Firefox's) settings to prevent this. Okay, it's hardly in the same league as Hitler invading Poland, but this does feel territorial.
Otherwise it looks fine.

Darren White

co-owner and admin
Staff member
Co-Owner
It has been said already, but I'm going to say it again. I wish to thank all owners and admins for their (our) perseverance through these stressy times.

I wish to above all thank PiP for all the work she did, and for chasing us with her pointy stick ;)

And I wish to thank above and beyond all our Techadm for his enormous patience and the insane amount of work he did. No words for it except gratitude!